logo 2017

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2017 - 14.22 JULY

Sections & Films

APRIL'S DAUGHTER

Category: Edition 2017

Synopsis
17 year-old Valeria is pregnant by her teenage boyfriend but she hasn't informed her absent mother, April. When her sister Clara goes behind her back and calls April, their mother arrives full of concern, support and tenderness. But once the baby is born, it soon becomes clear why Valeria wanted to keep April as far away as possible.

Original Title Las Hijas de Abril
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 103'
Production Year 2017
Nationality Mexico
Directed by Michel Franco
Screenplay Michel Franco
Director of photography Yves Cape
Editor Jorge Weisz, Michel Franco
Sound Federico Gonzalez Jordan
Main cast Emma Suarez (Abrìl)
Ana Valeria Becerril (Valeria)
Enrique Arrizon (Mateo)
Joanna Larequi (Clara)
Hernan Mendoza
Produced by Michel Franco, Lorenzo Vigas, Moises Zonana
Trailer OEVp4rvpD7I

--- regista --- michel francoMichel Franco
Franco was born in México City in 1979. As a writer, director and producer, his body of work includes CHRONIC (which screened in Competition in Cannes 2015 and won the award for Best Screenplay), and AFTER LUCÍA which won Best Film in Un Certain Regard, Cannes 2012. Franco produced 600 MILES (directed by Gabriel Ripstein), winner of the Best First Feature award at the 2015 Berlin Film Festival, and FROM AFAR, directed by Lorenzo Vigas, which won the Golden Lion at the 2015 Venice Film Festival. Franco is currently developing several feature film and TV projects via his company Lucía Films.

Director's statement
“A few years ago I saw a pregnant teenage girl, a very common sight in México. This one really caught my attention, making me think about how she found herself in that situation, what might happen to her baby, what might happen to her… she seemed both content and anguished, full of hope for the future but also filled with anxiety… these contrasts in that pregnant girl’s expression were the origin of the story. In addition, I am fascinated by the competitive relationship that so many women and men have with their own children; they refuse to accept they aren’t 20 years old anymore, that time has passed… that denial, those shifts in family dynamics, can lead to chaos. These two elements gave birth to this film”.

production
Lucia Films
(Mexico)
www.luciafilms.com

world sales
festival contact
MK2 Films
(France)
www.mk2films.com

All films in competition are in the original language with Italian subtitles except for +3 and +6 sections that has a live over-sound). Entrance to Elements and Generator screenings is free (subject to available seats) priority will be given to jurors, press and accredited audience.
Masterclass
meeting at the Sala De Sica and Antica Ramiera are for Masterclass jurors and press only.
Entrance to Parental Control
and Gex Doc sections is free up to capacity, Elements +6 and +10, press and accreditation have priority.
Entrance to Wizard Nights
and Fright Nights films is free up to capacity.