logo 2014

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2014 - 18.27 July

Sections & Films

THE OUTLAW LEAGUE

Category: Edition 2014

Synopsis

Nicolas, 12 years old, son and grandson of fishermen, lives alone with his mother and his sister in a village overlooking the sea. A terrible storm snatched his dad a few years earlier. Nicolas is in double mourning: for the disappearance of his father and for the disintegration of his grandfather Jérémie (Jeremiah). Unable to bear the death of his son, Jérémie sank into depression and alcohol, burning bridges to family and friends, but trying to keep in touch with his grandson. Summer vacation is the chance for Nicholas to resume his greatest pleasure: playing baseball with his friends. But a major obstacle greets the kids who assemble at the village baseball field: the town council has decided to convert the field into a municipal dump. With Nicolas as their leader, the village kids will resist the mayor's machinations with ferocity and, to their surprise, they will receive the support of Jérémie and his old buddies.

Original Title LA GANG DES HORS-LA-LOI
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90’
Production Year 2014
Nationality Canada
Directed by Jean Beaudry
Screenplay Lance Woolaver, André Melançon
In collaboration with Jean Beaudry
Director of photography Philippe Lavalette
Editor Hélène Girard
Production Design Raymond Dupuis
Costume Design François Barbeau
Sound Georges Hannan, Paul Goguen, Patrice Plante
Music Marc Beaulieu
Main cast André Kasper (Nicolas)
Guy Thauvette (Jérémie/Jeremiah)
Charles Gillespie (Tiger)
Lambert Legendre (Shogun)
Anyjeanne Savaria (Keiko)
Samuel Descôteaux (Raoul)
Produced by Rock Demers, François Savoie, Chantal Lafleur, Clarence LeBlanc

94-JBJean Beaudry

Born in 1947, in Québec. He was actor and stage director before co-directing along with François Bouvier his first feature film, JACQUES AND NOVEMBRE (JACQUES ET NOVEMBRE, 1984), in which he also played a leading role. His second feature film, also co-directed along with Bouvier, was UNFAITHFUL MORNINGS (LES MATINS INFIDÈLES, 1989). In 1990 he alone directed THE CASE OF THE WITCH WHO WASN’T (PAS DE RÉPIT POUR MÉLANIE), and in 1992 THE CLEAN MACHINE (TIRELIRE COMBINES & CIE), which was screened at the GFF 1992. Both films are part of the TALES FOR ALL collection, produced by Rock Demers. Before directing THE OUTLAW LEAGUE, his third TALE FOR ALL, Beaudry has directed three other feature films, published a novel and taught cinema at Québec University.

Director’s statement

“For this film I was working with professional actors and 12 young actors between 6 and 14. For most of those young actors, it was their first experience in front of the camera and I didn’t know how I would be able to handle that. But after a day’s work, I immediately felt they were forming a real ‘gang’. And the magic spread over the whole crew!”
“Since actors are like a sponge of emotions, especially if they are young, everything that permeate their behaviour behind the camera is reflected in front of it. The work was intense, sometimes difficult and sometimes very funny. I will always remember that scene between Nicolas and his Grand-father that moved me up to tears. I then told myself: that is why I am a director… to pass that emotion on the screen!”

produzione/production
festival contact

Les Productions La Fête
424 Guy Street, suite 202, Montréal, Québec H3J 1S6 – Canada
phone +1 5148480417
fax +1 5148480064
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.lafete.com

--

Connections Productions
1111 Main Street, suite 306, Moncton, New-Brunswick E1C 1H3- Canada
phone +1 5063823984
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.cptv.pro

distribuzione internazionale/world sales

Films 2.0 Inc.
424 Guy Street, suite 202, Montréal, Québec - Canada
phone +1 5148480417
www.filmsdeuxpointzero.com