logo 2014

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2014 - 18.27 July

Sections & Films

THE FINISHERS

Category: Edition 2014

Synopsis

Julien is 17 years old, he has a great sense of humour, bags of charm, and is in a wheelchair due to cerebral palsy. Despite their great love for him, his family is gradually falling apart under the strain of dealing with his disability. Like all teenagers, Julien dreams of adventure and thrilling sensations. But when you live in a wheelchair, such dreams are difficult to fulfil. To do so, and to bond with his father, Julien challenges him to participate with him in the Ironman race in Nice, in the French Riviera, one of the most difficult sporting events in the world, a triathlon in which his father has previously competed. This is already exceptional, but it becomes almost impossible if one has to help a disabled kid throughout the course. A whole family comes together and reconnects in an attempt to see this incredible exploit through.

Original Title DE TOUTES NOS FORCES
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90’
Production Year 2013
Nationality France
Directed by Nils Tavernier
Screenplay Nils Tavernier, Pierre Leyssieux, Laurent Bertoni
Script Nils Tavernier
Director of photography Laurent Machuel
Editor Yann Malcor
Production Design Jean-Michel Simonet
Costume Design Fanny Drouin
Sound Pascal Jasmes, Alexandre Fleurant, Bruno Seznec
Music Bardi Johannsson
Main cast Jacques Gamblin (Paul)
Alexandra Lamy (Claire)
Fabien Héraud (Julien)
Sophie de Fürst (Sophie)
Pablo Pauly (Yohan)
Xavier Mathieu (Sergio)
Produced by Philip Boëffard, Christophe Rossignon

Nils TavernierNils Tavernier

Born 1965, Paris. He made his first cinema appearance in the feature film SPOILED CHILDREN (DES ENFANTS GÂTES, 1977), by his father, Bertrand Tavernier. Then he played in his father’s feature films BEATRICE (LA PASSION BÉATRICE, 1987), L. 627 (1992), REVENGE OF THE MUSKETEERS (LA FILLE DE D’ARTAGNAN, 1994). He also played in STORY OF WOMEN (UNE AFFAIRE DE FEMMES, 1988) by Claude Chabrol, THE LIGHT OF THE LAKE (LA LUMIÈRE DU LAC, 1988) by Francesca Comencini, VALMONT (1989) by Milos Forman. Later he began his director career shooting the documentaries TOUT PRÈS DES ÉTOILES (2001), HISTOIRES DE VIES BRISÉES: LES “DOUBLE PEINE” DE LYON (2001, co-directed along with his father), L’ODYSSÉE DE LA VIE (2006). In 2006 he made his first theatrical fiction feature film, AURORE.

Director’s statement

“For the past 20 years, I’ve been very interested in children and sickness, and I’d just spent two years at the Necker hospital in Paris in the neurology department working on a documentary. As such, I wanted to address the incredible strength of some of these kids who are different to the rest. I realized that in case of some particularly serious illnesses, children can have this amazing vital energy that they spread around them, that they spread to me and which they spread to their own families. I didn’t want extraordinary characters for my film but I didn’t want them to be banal either – I wanted people who could be any of us and who reveal themselves to be exceptional thanks to the child in question. Then I came across this video on the internet about a child with cerebral palsy who asked his dad to do an Ironman race and his dad agreed. That’s the perfect example of what I’d observed, mainly in terms of that incredible strength I just mentioned. Sometimes, these dads, who can no longer stand that their kids are different, suddenly become these forces of nature thanks to the energy of their child. So I wanted to make a film in which the protagonist has a disability, but where we quickly forget the illness – we see how they are different, but as soon as we accept that difference with the energy that comes from it, we no longer see the disability. I think that is wonderful. In many families confronted with disability, I’ve seen their energy of change driven by the child. This is not automatic – some children find themselves in a permanent state of sadness because of their condition – but the story of the family in the film is above all that of a kid who pushes his parents to show who they really are. Through him, his parents change their fixed ideas on who they are. They surpass themselves and discover the very best in themselves. I thought that it is magnificent that an 18-year-old kid could so radically change his own dad’s life. The father’s psychological construction –fleeing and rejection – changes direction under the influence of his child. And God knows how difficult it is to change once you’ve defined yourself as an adult with all your prejudices”.

produzione/production

Nord-Ouest Films
41, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne, 75009 Paris - France
phone +33 153204720
fax +33 153204721
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.nord-ouest.fr

distribuzione internazionale/world sales

Pathé Distribution

2, rue Lamennais, 75008 Paris - France
phone +33 171723000
fax +33 171723310
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.patheinternational.com

festival contact

The Festival Agency

www.thefestivalagency.com