logo 2013

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2013 - 19.28 July

Sections & Films

THE BLING RING

Category: Edition 2013

In the fame-obsessed world of Los Angeles, a group of teenagers take us on a thrilling and disturbing crime-spree in the Hollywood hills. Based on true events, the group, who were fixated on the glamorous life, tracked their celebrity targets online, and stole more than three million in luxury goods from their homes. Their victims included Paris Hilton, Orlando Bloom, Rachel Bilson, and the gang became known in the media as “The Bling Ring”.

In una Los Angeles ossessionata dalla celebrità, un gruppo di adolescenti ci trascina in una folle e avvincente sequenza di crimini sulle colline di Hollywood. La storia è ispirata a fatti realmente accaduti: il gruppo, ossessionato dal glamour e dal lusso, utilizzando Internet, ha realmente studiato le celebrità da colpire, per poi rubare nelle loro case beni di lusso per oltre tre milioni di dollari. Tra le vittime, Paris Hilton, Orlando Bloom e Rachel Bilson. La banda è stata ribattezzata dai media “The Bling Ring”.

Original Title BLING RING
Italian Title BLING RING
Category Out of competition
Section Premiere
Tipology Teaser
Duration 90’
Production Year 2013
Nationality France, Japan, United Kingdom, USA
Directed by Sofia Coppola
Screenplay Sofia Coppola
Director of photography Harris Savides, Christopher Blauvelt
Editor Sarah Flack
Production Design Anne Ross
Costume Design Stacey Battat
Sound Richard Beggs
Music Brian Reitzell (music supervisor)
Main cast Israel Broussard (Mark)
Emma Watson (Nicki)
Taissa Farmiga (Sam)
Claire Julien (Chloé)
Katie Chang (Rebecca)
Georgia Rock (Emily)
Produced by Roman Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Youree Henley

Sofia Coppola
Born 1971, New York City. Daughter of the director Francis Ford Coppola. She attended the Mills College and the California Institute of the Arts. As an actress she made appearances in some of her father’s films, such as RUMBLE FISH (1983) and THE GODFATHER: PART III (1990). Afterwards she began her directorial career. In 1998 she shot the short film LICK THE STAR. In 1999 she made her first feature film, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, which was premiered at the 2000 Sundance Film Festival. Then she directed LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003), which won the 2003 Academy Award for the Best Original Screenplay; MARIE ANTOINETTE (2006), which was premiered at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival; SOMEWHERE (2010), which was premiered at the 2010 Venice Film Festival where it received the Golden Lion Award for the Best Picture.

Sofia Coppola
Nata nel 1971 a New York. Figlia del regista Francis Ford Coppola. Frequenta prima il Mills College, poi il California Institute of the Arts. Compare come attrice in diversi film del padre, come RUSTY IL SELVAGGIO (RUMBLE FISH, 1983) e IL PADRINO - PARTE III (THE GODFATHER: PART III, 1990). In seguito intraprende la carriera di regista. Nel 1998 gira il cortometraggio LICK THE STAR. Nel 1999 firma il suo primo lungometraggio, IL GIARDINO DELLE VERGINI SUICIDE (THE VIRGIN SUICIDES), presentato al Sundance 2000. Ha poi diretto LOST IN TRANSLATION - L’AMORE TRADOTTO (LOST IN TRANSLATION, 2003), con cui ha vinto il premio Oscar 2003 per la migliore sceneggiatura originale; MARIE ANTOINETTE (2006), presentato a Cannes 2006; SOMEWHERE (2010), Leone d’Oro alla Mostra di Venezia 2010.

Director’s statement
“The movie does show how the culture can affect kids who don’t have strong values from their families. There’s so much material and I was doing a fictional version. Going through the research, editing it down, and finding a way to make these characters relatable and sympathetic was all very challenging. I’ve tried to tell the story in a way that you can get into it from the kids point of view and see how it’s fun and exciting and then hopefully by the end of it you get another perspective that they have taken it too far. So I hope not to be judging them too much, but I’m definitely looking from a distance at them – there is a critical aspect to it. I feel like you can get caught up in the teen/fun/bad behaviour side of it so I hope I’m not glamorizing their bad behaviour. I think there is a mix of both glamour and critique in the film, but that, in the end, it will give audiences something to think about”.

Dichiarazioni della regista
“Il film mostra come la cultura dominante riesca a influenzare dei ragazzi ai quali le famiglie non hanno trasmesso valori forti in cui credere. C'era una montagna di materiale e io dovevo tirarne fuori una storia di finzione. Fare ricerche, lavorare sui materiali e trovare un modo per rendere i personaggi simpatici e credibili per il pubblico è stata una sfida difficile da affrontare. Ho cercato di raccontare la storia in modo che chi la guarda possa farlo dal punto di vista dei ragazzi, scoprendo quanto sia divertente ed eccitante, per poi alla fine assumere un'altra prospettiva e capire che loro si sono spinti davvero troppo oltre. Spero di non averli giudicati troppo, ma certamente li ho osservati a distanza, usando anche un occhio critico. Ho paura che ci si possa sentire attratti da un comportamento adolescenziale, spensierato e un po' criminale, per cui spero di non averlo reso troppo affascinante. Credo che il film sia una combinazione di glamour e di spirito critico e che, alla fine, sarà materia di riflessione per il pubblico”.

produzione/production
American Zoetrope
916 Kearny St. - CA 94133, San Francisco, California – USA
phone +1 4157887500
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.zoetrope.com

distribuzione internazionale/world sales
FilmNation Entertainment
phone +33 49399977
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.wearefilmnation.com

distribuzione italiana/italian distribution
festival contact
Lucky Red
Via  Antonio Chinotto,16 00195 - Roma
phone +39 06 3759441
fax +39 06 37352310
www.luckyred.it