logo 2013

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2013 - 19.28 July

Sections & Films

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

Category: Edition 2013

Synopsis
Hushpuppy, 6 year-old, lives with her father Wink in the Bathtub, a Southern Delta community. When Wink contracts an illness, nature flies out of whack, unleashing an army of prehistoric creatures, the Aurochs. Hushpuppy will try to survive and go in search of her lost mother.

Sinossi
Hushpuppy, 6 anni, vive con il padre Wink in una comunità detta la Grande Vasca, una zona paludosa nel Sud degli USA. Quando Wink si ammala, gli equilibri naturali si infrangono, e arrivano gli Aurochs, misteriose creature preistoriche. Hushpuppy, tentando di sopravvivere, si mette alla ricerca della madre perduta.

Original Title BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
Italian Title RE DELLA TERRA SELVAGGIA
Category Out of competition
Section Parental Control
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 92’
Production Year 2012
Nationality USA
Directed by Benh Zeitlin
Screenplay Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin, (based on a play) by
by Lucy Alibar
Director of photography Ben Richardson
Editor Crockett Doob, Affonso Goncalves
Production Design Alex Digerlando
Costume Design Stephani Lewis
Sound Steve Boeddeker
Music Dan Romer, Benh Zeitlin
Main cast Quvenzhané Wallis (Hushpuppy)
Dwight Henry (Wink)
Levy Easterly (Jean Battiste)
Lowell Landes (Walrus)
Pamela Harper (Little Jo)
Gina Montana (Miss Bathsheeba)
Produced by Dan Janvey, Josh Penn, Philipp Hengelhorn, Michael Reisler, Paul Mezey, Michael Gottwald

benh-zeitlin-regista-foto-dal-setBenh Zeitlin
Born 1982, New York. He graduated from the Wesleyan University, where he directed his first short film, EGG, followed by THE ORIGINS OF ELECTRICITY (2006) and GLORY AT SEA (2008). He is a founding member of Court 13, independent collection of filmmakers and composers. His first feature film, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, received four nominations for 2013 Academy Awards (including Best Picture and Best Director), the Caméra d'Or award at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival in the “Un Certain Regard” section, and the Grand Jury Prize at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.

Benh Zeitlin
Nato nel 1982 a New York. Si laurea alla Wesleyan University, dove realizza il suo primo cortometraggio, EGG, cui seguono THE ORIGINS OF ELECTRICITY (2006), e GLORY AT SEA (2008). È membro fondatore di Court 13, un collettivo indipendente di cineasti e musicisti. RE DELLA TERRA SELVAGGIA, il suo primo lungometraggio, ha ottenuto 4 candidature all’Oscar (tra cui miglior film e miglior regia), la Caméra d’or a Cannes 2012 nella sezione “Un Certain Regard”, e il Gran Premio della Giuria al Sundance 2012.

Director’s statement
“Someone’s ability to bake doughnuts or laugh loud is just as good a reason to make them a dolly grip as their ability to push a dolly. I want to fill my life and my films with wild, brave, good-hearted people. Whatever amount of chaos and disaster that leads to doesn’t matter, because you’re going through it with the people you love, and in the end, no matter what, the movies come out wild, brave, and good-hearted; and that’s more important to me than smooth dolly moves. This concept extended to every part of the process making Beasts of the Southern Wild. My approach to making movies about is crafting an energy, a feeling, and a way of life that the people that make movies with me can live. It’s about inventing a reality and populating it with the best people I know”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“L’abilità di qualcuno nel preparare ciambelle o nel ridere di gusto contano per me tanto quanto la sua capacità di essere un ottimo carrellista. Nella mia vita, così come nei miei film, voglio essere circondato da persone selvagge, coraggiose e di buon cuore. Se questo, a volte, conduce a situazioni di caos, non importa. Almeno queste situazioni si attraversano con persone che si amano. In fin dei conti, è il film che ci guadagna in passione, coraggio e generosità. E questo, ai miei occhi, è molto più importante di un carrello perfettamente realizzato. È con questo principio in testa che ho affrontato tutte le tappe della creazione di RE DELLA TERRA SELVAGGIA. Ho fatto di tutto per infondere un’energia, un sentimento, un modo di essere che tutti quelli con cui lavoravo potessero condividere. Fare un film per me è inventare una realtà e farvi vivere le persone migliori che conosco”.

produzione/production
Cinereach
Court 13
Journeyman Pictures

distribuzione internazionale/world sales
Fox Searchlight

distribuzione italiana/italian distribution
festival contact
Satine Film
Bolero Film