logo 2013

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2013 - 19.28 July

Sections & Films

I SWAN

Category: Edition 2013

Synopsis
Holly, traumatized by her mother’s accidental death, develops a selective mutism. Hoping to help her recover, her father takes her to the natural wetland where he works. Holly casually befriends a wounded swan and nurtures it back to health. The swan’s company also helps Holly become happy again, and eventually to outgrow the trauma of her mother’s death. Unfortunately, a man with evil intentions steals the swan, leading Holly and her father to begin a difficult search for her best friend.

Sinossi
Holly, traumatizzata dalla tragica e accidentale morte della madre, sviluppa un disturbo emotivo, il mutismo selettivo, che le causa l’incapacità di parlare in alcuni contesti, quelli in cui ci si aspetta che si parli, come la scuola. Nella speranza di aiutarla a guarire, il padre la porta con sé nella zona paludosa dove lavora. Lì Holly trova casualmente un cigno ferito, si lega affettivamente all’animale, lo cura e lo rimette in salute. La compagnia del cigno aiuta inoltre Holly a ritrovare la felicità, e infine a superare il lutto per la perdita della madre. Purtroppo, un uomo armato di cattive intenzioni si impadronisce del cigno, spingendo Holly e suo padre alla disperata ricerca del migliore amico della bambina.

Original Title I SWAN
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 98’
Production Year 2012
Nationality China
Directed by Kong Sheng
Screenplay Qiu Tinghao
Director of photography Li Xue
Editor Li Gang
Production Design Shao Changyong
Music Meng Ke
Main cast Chen Yaxi
Ning Wenbin
Zu Feng
Fan Lei
Produced by Hou Hongliang

IMG 2482Kong Sheng
Born 1960, China. He is a director and cinematographer. He started working as a cinematographer in 1991. He directed more than 600 episodes of several TV series, such as ADVENTURE OF KANTO (2006, which won seven Golden Eagle Awards, the main national prizes of the Chinese television industry), EDGE OF SURVIVAL (2008, which is regarded as one of the best war stories in the Chinese television history), THE AGE OF IRON (GANG TIE NIAN DAI, 2009), WINDMILL (FENG CHE, 2011), FAMILY ON THE GO (WENZHOU YI JIA REN, 2012).

Kong Sheng
Nato nel 1960 in Cina. È regista e direttore della fotografia. Ha iniziato a lavorare come direttore della fotografia nel 1991. Ha diretto più di 600 episodi di diverse serie televisive, tra cui ADVENTURE OF KANTO (2006, che ha vinto sette premi Aquile d’Oro, gli Oscar della televisione cinese), EDGE OF SURVIVAL (2008, che è considerata in patria come una delle migliori storie di guerra della storia della televisione cinese), THE AGE OF IRON (GANG TIE NIAN DAI, 2009), WINDMILL (FENG CHE, 2011), FAMILY ON THE GO (WENZHOU YI JIA REN, 2012).

Director’s statement
“In this film, you may not find love stories which move you to tears or exciting actions which gets your adrenaline pumping, neither will you spot dazzling special effects nor commercial elements which can be found in almost every movie nowadays. What you may encounter is a story about only a child and a swan, without any pretentious narrative techniques. The reason why we want to invest in this low budget independent movie which may not be the favorite kind of general market is that we are longing to tell a story with sincerity”.
“The leading character of I SWAN is an autistic girl who lost her mother to cancer and is brought by his father to a national nature reserve he works in, where she lives harmoniously with the wild swans, and because of this experience her autism finally gets healed. In modern cities, children have been separated from nature completely, which gives rise to a series of worrisome symptoms regarded as ‘Nature Deficit Disorder’ by the American author Richard Louv. Faced by the alienation caused by the information age, we intend to use I SWAN to arouse people’s attention towards the harmony between people and nature, lead the public to begin ponder on the importance of more efficient communication between each other, and guide people to pay due respect to life and nature”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“In questo film, non troverete storie d’amore che muovono alle lacrime o azioni emozionanti e adrenaliniche, né abbaglianti effetti speciali o elementi commerciali che si possono vedere in quasi tutti i film di oggi. Quello che troverete è solo una storia su una bambina e un cigno, senza soluzioni narrative pretenziose. La ragione che ci ha portato a investire in questo film indipendente a basso costo, che può non essere il tipo di film preferito dal mercato, sta nel forte desiderio di raccontare una storia con sincerità”.
“Il personaggio principale di I SWAN è una bambina autistica che ha perso sua madre a causa di un cancro ed è stata portata da suo padre nella riserva naturale nazionale in cui egli lavora e dove lei vive in armonia con i cigni selvatici, e grazie a questa esperienza alla fine la bambina guarisce dall’autismo. Nelle città moderne, i bambini sono stati separati completamente dalla natura, e questo distacco ha provocato una serie di preoccupanti sintomi denominati ‘disturbo da deficit di natura’ dallo studioso americano Richard Louv. Di fronte all’alienazione causata dall’era dell’informazione, intendo usare I SWAN per attirare l’attenzione degli spettatori sull’armonia tra uomo e natura, per condurre il pubblico a cominciare a riflettere sull’importanza di una comunicazione più efficiente, e per guidare le persone a mostrare il dovuto rispetto verso la vita e verso la natura”.

produzione/production
distribuzione internazionale/world sales
Shandong Film & Teleplay Production Center
Shandong Film & TV Media Group
1F, Building 2, No. 1 Anjialou, Liangmaqiao Ave, Chaoyang Dist, Beijing China
phone +86 1058259870
fax +86 1058259860
festival contact
China Children’s Film Association
www.cchfa.cn