logo 2010

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2010 - 18.31 July

Sections & Films

OSCAR AND THE LADY IN PINK

Category: Edition 2010

Synopsis

Oscar, a 10-year-old boy, is staying in the children’s hospital. Neither the doctors nor his parents dare speak the truth about his illness. Only Rose, the grumpy woman who delivers his pizzas, talks straight to him. To take his mind off things, Rose suggests playing a game with Oscar: They make believe that each day from now on counts for 10 years. Through this, she offers him a whole life in the space of a few days. To encourage him to open up, she also suggests that he should write to God. In his letters, Oscar admits to his pain, his worries, and talks of his joys, his first love, the passing of time. A unique friendship grows between Oscar and Rose. Neither of them have any idea just how much this complicity will change their destiny.

Sinossi

Oscar, un bambino di 10 anni, è degente in un ospedale per bambini. Né i medici né i suoi genitori osano dirgli la verità sulla sua malattia. Solo Rosa, la scontrosa signora che gli consegna le pizze, parla chiaramente con lui. Per farlo distrarre, Rose propone ad Oscar un gioco: d’ora in poi faranno finta che ogni giorno di Oscar vale 10 anni. In questo modo, la donna offre al bambino una vita intera nel giro di pochi giorni. Per incoraggiarlo ad esprimere le proprie emozioni, Rose gli suggerisce anche di scrivere a Dio. Nelle sue lettere, Oscar ammette il suo dolore, le sue preoccupazioni, e parla delle sue gioie, del suo primo amore, del passare del tempo. Una singolare amicizia si sviluppa tra Oscar e Rose e nessuno dei due ha idea di quanto questa complicità cambierà il loro destino.

Original Title OSCAR ET LA DAME ROSE
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 105'
Production Year 2009
Nationality Belgium, Canada, France
Directed by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Screenplay Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Based on the book "Oscar and the Lady in Pink" ("Oscar et la dame rose")
by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Director of photography Virginie Saint-Martin
Editor Philippe Bourgueil
Production Design Jean-Jacques Gernolle
Costume Design Jean-Daniel Vuillermoz
Sound Marie-Claude Gagné
Music Michel Legrand
Main cast Michèle Laroque (Rose)
Amir (Oscar)
Amira Casar (Mme Gommette)
Mylène Demongeot (Lily)
Max von Sydow (Dr Düsseldorf)
Constance Dolle (Oscar’s mom/madre di Oscar)
Produced by Philippe Godeau

oscar and the lady in pink regEric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Born in 1960, graduate of the Ecole Normale Supérieure, doctorate in philosophy, Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt has become one of the most widely-read novelists and playwrights, both in France and abroad. His books have been translated into 40 languages and his plays are regularly staged in some 50 countries. All his works are published by Albin Michel. In 2007 he directed his first film ODETTE TOULEMONDE.

Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Nato nel 1960, laureatosi presso l'Ecole Normale Supérieure, con un dottorato in filosofia, Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt è tra i più letti scrittori e drammaturghi, sia in Francia che all'estero. I suoi libri sono stati tradotti in 40 lingue e le sue opere vengono messe in scena in circa 50 paesi. Tutti i suoi lavori sono pubblicati in Francia da Albin Michel. Nel 2007 ha diretto il suo primo film ODETTE TOULEMONDE.

Director’s statement
“OSCAR was an unexpected and runaway success. Unexpected because it deals with a taboo subject; that of a child’s illness, and inexorably, his death. In writing it – for an internal necessity – I said to myself: “If there’s a book of mine that the public could turn down, it’s this one.” Yet it was the complete opposite. Oscar and the lady in pink totally changed my career. I became a popular author. This tale went to people’s hearts. The first to read it were doctors who bought it by the dozen to give to their personnel in clinics or to certain patients. Unusually, this non-medical book received an award from the Academy of Medicine, the Hamburger prize, which considered that Oscar and the lady in pink contributed to the humanization of the hospital and helped understand the position of the sick person. The second path of its success was with the young. Children of Oscar’s age, 10 years old, started to read it and recommend it to each other, then gave it to their parents and grand-parents. As a result, the book became trans-generational. It stayed for 160 weeks on the best-seller list. And it has been translated into some 40 languages and is being continually reprinted”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“OSCAR è stato un successo inaspettato e travolgente. Imprevisto perché riguarda un argomento tabù, quello della malattia di un bambino, e inesorabilmente, la sua morte. Mentre lo scrivevo – perché ne sentivo il bisogno - mi sono detto: "Se c'è un mio libro che il pubblico potrebbe rifiutare, è questo." Eppure è stato l’esatto contrario. Oscar e la dama in rosa ha cambiato completamente la mia carriera. Sono diventato un autore popolare. Questo racconto è arrivato al cuore della gente. I primi a leggerlo sono stati medici che ne acquistate dozzine di copie per darle al personale delle loro cliniche o ad alcuni dei loro pazienti. Insolitamente, questo libro che non parla di medicina ha ricevuto un premio dall'Accademia di Medicina (il premio Hamburger) che ha ritenuto che Oscar e la dama in rosa abbia contribuito all’umanizzazione dell'ospedale e abbia aiutato a comprendere la posizione degli ammalati. Il libro ha avuto grande successo anche con i giovani. I bambini dell’età di Oscar, 10 anni, hanno iniziato a leggerlo e a consigliarselo a vicenda, poi lo hanno passato ai genitori e ai nonni. Di conseguenza, il libro è diventato trans-generazionale, è rimasto per 160 settimane nella lista dei best-seller, è stato tradotto in circa 40 lingue e viene continuamente ristampato”.

Production
Pan-europeenne
Studiocanal
Oscar films
Tf1 films production
Cinemaginaire
Rtbf (belgian television)

World sales

Wild Bunch
99 rue de la Verrerie 75004 Paris
phone +33 153104250
fax +33 153104269
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.wildbunch.eu

Festival contact

Tamasa Distribution

www.tamasadiffusion.com