GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2019 - 19.27 July

GIFFONI50 - 18.29 AUGUST / 26-30 DECEMBER

GIFFONI50PLUS - 21.31 JULY 2021

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Archivio Film 2019

TOLKIEN

Category: Edition 2019

Synopsis
TOLKIEN explores the formative years of the renowned author’s life as he finds friendship, courage and inspiration among a group of fellow writers and artists at school. Their brotherhood strengthens as they grow up and weather love and loss together, including Tolkien’s tumultuous courtship of his beloved Edith Bratt, until the outbreak of the First World War which threatens to tear their fellowship apart. All these experiences would later inspire Tolkien to write his famous Middle-earth novels.

Original Title TOLKIEN
Category Out of competition
Section Special Events
Tipology Feature Film, Special Event
Duration 112'
Production Year 2019
Nationality USA
Directed by Dome Karukoski
Screenplay David Gleeson, Stephen Beresford
Director of photography Lasse Frank, Dff
Editor Harri Ylönen
Production Design Grant Montgomery
Computer Graphics Colleen Kelsall
Music Thomas Newman
Main cast Nicholas Hoult
Lily Collins
Colm Meaney
Derek Jacobi
Produced by Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, David Ready, Kris Thykier

regista Dome KarukoskiDOME KARUKOSKI
Karukoski was born in Cyprus in 1976 and is the son of journalist Ritva Karukoski and actor and poet George Dickerson. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in film directing, from the School of Motion Picture, University of Art and Design (UIAH). Dome is one of Finland’s most acclaimed directors. His films have received 38 nominations in the Finnish Film Awards, and he has been awarded the prize for best director twice. He is the only Finnish director ever to win all the main Finnish national awards (Best Film, Best TV-show and Best Commercial). "The Home of Dark Butterflies" and "Tom of Finland" were chosen as the Finnish selections for the Oscars® Best Foreign Language Film category. His latest films that have garnered international attention include "The Grump" (TIFF 2014), "Heart of a Lion" (TIFF 2013) and "Lapland Odyssey" (TIFF 2010). In 2013, he was selected as one of Variety’s 10 Director’s To Watch. Karukoski’s other film credits include "Forbidden Fruit" (2009) and "Beauty and the Bastard" (2005). His television credits include the series "Awakening" (2011), "Protectors" (2008) and "Brothers" (2008).

Director's statement
"I’ve been a fan of Tolkien since I was 12 years old so the most important thing to me is to bring all the emotions I had reading his books to this movie. TOLKIEN is a magical story of love and friendship. It’s the story of an orphaned boy finding fellowship, going to war and discovering the one woman he’ll love for eternity. At the same time, it is about how Tolkien, in his creative brilliance, might have been inspired to weave each of these real things—friendship, war and love—into his incredibly lively fantasy worlds".

production
Fox Searchlight Pictures
(USA)
www.foxsearchlight.com

world sales
Walt Disney Studios
(USA)

Italian distribution
festival contact
20th Century Fox Italy
(Italy)
www.20thfox.it