GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2019 - 19.27 July

GIFFONI50 - 18.29 AUGUST / 26-30 DECEMBER

GIFFONI50PLUS - 21.31 JULY 2021

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Archivio Film 2019

STORM BOY

Category: Edition 2019

Synopsis
A contemporary retelling of Colin Thiele's classic Australian tale. 'Storm Boy' has grown up to be Michael Kingley, a successful retired businessman and grandfather. When Kingley starts to see images from his past that he can't explain, he is forced to remember his long-forgotten childhood, growing up on an isolated coastline with his father. He recounts to his grand-daughter the story of how, as a boy, he rescued and raised an extraordinary orphaned pelican, Mr Percival. Their remarkable adventures and very special bond has a profound effect on all their lives.

Original Title STORM BOY
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 98'
Production Year 2019
Nationality Australia
Directed by Sawn Seet
Screenplay Justin Monjo
Based on the book "Storm Boy"
by Colin Thiele
Director of photography Bruce Young
Editor Denise Haratzis
Production Design Melinda Doring
Costume Design Louise McCarthy
Sound Pete Best
Music Alan John
Main cast Jai Courtney
Geoffrey Rush
Finn Little
Trevor Jamison
Morgana Davies
Erik Thompson
Produced by Matthew Street, Michael Boughen

regista Shawn SeetSHAWN SEET
Award winning director, Shawn Seet saw the original "Storm Boy" after he moved to Australia as a boy of 12. The feature film, based on the celebrated classic novel by Colin Thiele has stayed with Shawn as a memorable and moving piece of cinema. Shawn's debut feature "Two Fists, One Heart" received critical acclaim and a Best Feature Film Direction nomination from the ADG. He has been awarded by the ADG for Drama Direction for "Underbelly-A Tale of Two Cities" and by AACTA for Best Direction Television Drama for "The Code". The telemovie "Peter Allen: Not the Boy Next Door" for Shine and the Seven Network has garnered Shawn both AACTA and AWG wins for Best Director.

Director's statement
"When Michael Boughen asked me to come into the office and told me what the project was, it hit me like lightning. I was born in Australia but grew up in Malaysia and came back when I was 12 to live with my mother’s family. My uncle educated me by taking me to see Australian films and one of the first he took me to was STORM BOY. It was the era of the film renaissance in Australia, and there was a great optimism and pride in local films. I still have the film poster at home, so when Michael told me he wanted to make this film, I felt it was meant to be. A lot of what resonated for me was the simplicity of their life, the respect for nature and the father and son story. Moving back to a simpler life are issues and themes that resonate now. We are in a hurly burly world of phones and computers and I think there’s a great desire in people to return to a greater harmony with nature. That’s something I really wanted to capture in this telling of the story".

production
Ambience Entertainment
(Australia)
www.ambienceentertainment.com

world sales
festival contact
Kathy Morgan International
(Australia)
www.kmifilms.com