logo 2015

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2015 - 17.26 July

Sections & Films

THE AMAZING WIPLALA

Category: Edition 2015

Synopsis
Wiplala is a 10cm tall little creature coming from a country where everyone can do magic, though they call it “tinkling” there. Wiplala cannot tinkle very well, he is ashamed and decides to leave his country. Crawling through a long corridor he ends up in the kitchen of the family Blom. Mr. Blom, the father of this single-parent family, pays little attention to his children: Johannes is a shy 9 year-old boy and Nella Della is his 12 years old daughter. When Johannes finds Wiplala accidentally in the kitchen behind a jar, he is happy to have a friend for himself. But it does not take long before the rest of his family finds out about his secret. But then, accidentally, Wiplala tinkles the whole family as tall as he is himself. And he is unable to tinkle them back to normal.

Original Title WIPLALA
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 100'
Production Year 2014
Nationality Netherlands
Directed by Tim Oliehoek
Screenplay Tamara Bos
Based on the book “Wiplala”
by Annie M.G. Schmidt
Director of photography Rolf Dekens
Editor Bert Jakobs
Production Design Barbara Westra
Sound François Dumont
Music André Dziezuk, Mark van den Oever
Main cast Géza Weisz (Wiplala)
Peter Paul Muller (Mr. Blom)
Sasha Mylanus (Johannes)
Kee Ketelaar (Nella Della)
Gabbi Lieve van Waveren (Lotje)
Cas Jansen (Doctor Vink)
Produced by Burny Bos
Access

Tim-Oliehoek OKTim Oliehoek
Born 1979, Stompwijk (the Netherlands). He debuted as a director in 1997, when he was 18 years old, with the amateur film BUY OR DIE, which became his stepping-stone to the Dutch Film and Television Academy, where he graduated in 2001. During his studies, he directed several short films, such as THE CHAMP (2000) and his graduation project ISABELLE (2001). In 2003 he shot the TV movie 15.35: SPOOR 1. In 2005 he made his first theatrical feature film, VET HARD, followed by SPY OF ORANGE (SPION VAN ORANJE, 2009), PIZZAMAFFIA (2011), CHEZ NOUS (2013).

Director’s statement
“I had just finished editing the film CHEZ NOUS in 2013, when Burny Bos asked me to read the script of THE AMAZING WIPLALA. I was flattered. Our collaboration had pleased him apparently. I read the script during my vacation and thought about how we could make this film really cool. Together with Tamara Bos, we edited the script and added more spectacular scenes, such as the race through the city in a remote controlled car and many other stunts. We also deliberately started the film with a slower pace, to introduce the Blom family and the existing conflicts between the main protagonists.
“Gradually, we learn about what motivates each member of the Blom family. I lost my mother when I was seven years old. I could therefore sympathize with the children and their experience in growing up motherless. In the film, it is not portrayed as an overly dramatic situation, but it is put in context for the audience. After a fairly quiet first ten minutes, the action and excitement really start! I think that is so much fun; to create but also to view. I do not like films where children’s roles are kept small. I’d rather see a reality in which children’s strength and intelligence are cleverly portrayed. I especially was inspired by movies like E.T., JUMANJI, THE GOONIES and of course HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS.
“This film required meticulous preparation. We held many monthly meetings to prepare before the shooting and put together a document – as thick as a phone book! – that contained all the storyboard scenes. Every detail, scene and shot was pre-conceived and executed exactly as planned. When we showed the rough cut to Tamara and Burny, their response was very good. Even without all the special effects, the film already worked well and conveyed all the excitement and emotions we wished to portray. That was a great motivator for the team. I'm sure the spectators will have fun from beginning to end!”.

production
festival contact
BosBros Film-TV Productions
Arie Biemondstraat 111, 1054 PD Amsterdam - The Netherlands
phone +31 205244030
fax +31 205244040
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.bosbros.nl

world sales
Attraction Distribution
5455 De Gaspe Ave., Suite 803, H2T 3B3 Montréal - Canada
phone +1 5148461222
fax +1 5148461227
www.attractiondistribution.ca