logo 2012

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2012 - 14.24 July

Sections & Films

ZARAFA

Category: Edition 2012

Synopsis
Under a baobab tree, in the heart of Africa, a wise old man tells to the children around him the story of the friendship between Maki, a little boy aged 10, and Zarafa, an orphaned giraffe, a gift from the Pasha of Egypt to the King of France, Charles X, in 1827. Hassan, Prince of the Desert, is instructed by the Pasha to deliver Zarafa to France. But Maki has made up his mind to do everything in his power to stop Hassan from fulfilling his mission and to bring the giraffe back to its native land – even if it means risking his own life – because he must fulfil his promise to Zarafa’s mother. During an epic journey that takes them from Sudan to Paris, passing on the way through Alexandria, Marseille and the Alps, Maki lives many adventures, along with the balloonist Malaterre, a pair of twin cows called Mounh and Sounh, and the pirate queen Bouboulina. The film is based on a true story.

Sinossi
All’ombra di un baobab, nel cuore dell’Africa, un vecchio saggio racconta a un gruppo di bambini la storia dell’amicizia tra il piccolo Maki, 10 anni, e Zarafa, una giraffa orfana offerta in dono dal Pascià d’Egitto al re di Francia Carlo X nel 1827. Il beduino Hassan riceve dal Pascià il compito di portare la giraffa in Francia, ma il piccolo Maki è pronto a fare tutto il possibile, persino rischiare la vita, pur di ostacolare la missione di Hassan, salvare la giraffa e ricondurla nella sua terra natia, in Africa, per mantenere la promessa fatta alla madre di Zarafa. Maki affronta così un lungo, movimentato, epico viaggio dal Sudan a Parigi, attraversando Alessandria d’Egitto, Marsiglia, le Alpi, affrontando avventure e peripezie di ogni tipo, insieme ai suoi amici, il pilota di mongolfiere Malaterre, la coppia di mucche gemelle Mounh e Sounh, e la piratessa Bouboulina. Da una storia vera.

Original Title ZARAFA
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Animation, Feature Film
Duration 78’
Production Year 2012
Nationality Belgium, France
Directed by Rémi Bezançon, Jean-Christophe Lie
Screenplay Alexander Abela, Rémi Bezançon
Editor Sophie Reine
Animation Yoshimichi Tamura
Production Design Igor David
Sound Sebastien Marquilly
Music Laurent Perez del Mar
Original Voices Max Renaudin Pratt (Maki)
Simon Abkarian (Hassan)
François-Xavier Demaison (Malaterre)
Vernon Dobtcheff (il vecchio saggio/the wise old man)
Roger Dumas (Carlo X/Charles X)
Ronit Elkabetz (Bouboulina)
Produced by Valérie Schermann, Christophe Jankovic

bezanconRémi Bezançon
Born 1971, Paris. He studied at the ESRA (École Supérieure de Réalisation Audiovisuelle) and the École du Louvre. In 1997 he made his first short, LITTLE ITALIE. Afterwards he directed three feature films: LOVE IS IN THE AIR (MA VIE EN L’AIR, 2005); THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (LE PREMIER JOUR DU RESTE DE TA VIE, 2008, nominated for two César Awards); A HAPPY EVENT (UN HEUREUX ÉVÉNEMENT, 2011). ZARAFA is his first animated work.

Rémi Bezançon
Nato a Parigi nel 1971. Studia alla ESRA (Scuola Superiore di Realizzazione Audiovisiva) e alla École du Louvre. Nel 1997 gira il suo primo corto, LITTLE ITALIE, cui seguono tre lungometraggi: LOVE IS IN THE AIR (MA VIE EN L’AIR, 2005); THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (LE PREMIER JOUR DU RESTE DE TA VIE, 2008, candidato a due premi César); A HAPPY EVENT (UN HEUREUX ÉVÉNEMENT, 2011). ZARAFA è il suo primo film d’animazione.

lieJean-Christophe Lie
Born 1970, France. He studied at the École des Beaux-Arts in Toulouse and at the CFT Gobelins. Then he worked as an animator at Disney Studios in Montreuil, with Sylvain Chomet for THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE (LES TRIPLETTES DE BELLEVILLE, 2003), with Michel Ocelot for KIRIKOU AND THE WILD BEASTS (KIRIKOU ET LES BÊTES SAUVAGES, 2005). In 2008 he made his first short animation film, THE MAN IN THE BLUE GORDINI (L’HOMME À LA GORDINI), which screened in Cannes, was nominated for a César and won two awards at the Annecy animation film festival.

Jean-Christophe Lie
Nato in Francia nel 1970. Studia all’Accademia di Belle Arti di Tolosa e al CFT Gobelins. In seguito lavora come animatore per la Disney di Montreuil, con Sylvain Chomet per APPUNTAMENTO A BELLEVILLE (LES TRIPLETTES DE BELLEVILLE, 2003), con Michel Ocelot per KIRIKÙ E GLI ANIMALI SELVAGGI (KIRIKOU ET LES BÊTES SAUVAGES, 2005). Nel 2008 dirige il suo primo corto d’animazione, L’HOMME À LA GORDINI, presentato a Cannes, candidato ai premi César, vincitore di due premi al festival di Annecy.

Directors’ statement

Rémi Bezançon
The story of Zarafa, the first giraffe in France, has always fascinated me, given that it touches on all the themes that are dear to me: handing things on, friendship, and the passage of time. I wanted to demonstrate that freedom is the most important thing in life. Some people are still fighting for theirs. The film also tackles themes like friendship, the search for the father and the notion of promising something, but without moralizing. But I nonetheless didn’t hold back from being rather caustic regarding the court of Charles X. The critique of the abuse of power is obvious. Beyond that, I slipped in a few slightly more “educational” elements for children. I’d love it if, when kids come out of the movie, they ask their parents what Buddhism is. At a certain point, all children suddenly become fully aware of life and death and these aren’t simple notions to explain. This film might help some people openly tackle that dialogue.

Jean-Christophe Lie
I was totally won over by this fascinating story that has philosophical elements and yet is based on real historical events. Especially thanks to the solid construction of the screenplay certain distinct memories of my childhood reading resurfaced: Saint-Exupéry, Noah’s Ark, Jules Verne, and especially Victor Hugo, due to the historical, social and philosophical dimension of his work. As far as I’m concerned, as a graphic storyteller, anchoring the story in the real world was paramount. Names like Gustave Daumier and romantic artists of the period such as Géricault and Delacroix came to mind, and were a starting point for creating the graphic universe. I chose 2D as a technique, since it’s more raw, textured look and is better suited to the period. I was delighted that Rémi chose to film in cinemascope. It gave us the opportunity to get the most out of the wide open spaces and the journey in general. The directing decisions were simple: few camera movements or special effects, which could take away from the narrative. The film’s palette employs the naturally warm colors of Africa, and the early light and somber, cold hues in Paris.

Dichiarazioni dei registi

Rémi Bezançon
Sono sempre stato affascinato dalla storia di Zarafa, la prima giraffa giunta in Francia, perché affronta temi a me cari: le radici, l’amicizia, lo scorrere del tempo. Volevo dimostrare che la libertà è la cosa più importante nella vita. Alcune persone combattono ancora oggi per averla. Il film affronta anche altri argomenti, come l’amicizia, la ricerca del padre, il tema della promessa, ma senza moralismi. Non ho risparmiato note polemiche sulla corte di Carlo X, con l’ovvia critica agli abusi di potere. In più, sono finito su alcuni temi un po’ più “didattici”. Mi piacerebbe che i bambini, dopo la visione, domandassero ai genitori cos’è il buddismo. A un certo punto tutti i bambini diventano coscienti della vita e della morte, che non sono concetti semplici da spiegare. Questo film potrebbe aiutare ad affrontare apertamente questo tipo di dialogo.

Jean-Christophe Lie
Sono stato conquistato da questa storia appassionante che contiene in sé elementi filosofici ed è ispirata a eventi storici realmente accaduti. La solida struttura della sceneggiatura mi ha riportato alla mente alcune letture d’infanzia: Saint-Exupéry, l’Arca di Noè, Jules Verne, e soprattutto Victor Hugo, per il carattere storico, sociale e filosofico della sua opera. Come narratore grafico, ritenevo fosse fondamentale ambientare la storia nel mondo reale. Mi sono tornati alla mente nomi di pittori come Gustave Daumier e di altri artisti romantici del periodo, come Géricault e Delacroix, che sono stati un punto di partenza per l’universo grafico del film. Ho scelto la tecnica del 2D, perché più pura, naturale, più adatta al periodo. Sono stato entusiasta del formato panoramico, scelto da Rémy: ci ha dato l’opportunità di ottenere il massimo dagli spazi aperti e dal viaggio in generale. Le scelte di regia sono state semplici: pochi movimenti di macchina o effetti speciali, che avrebbero potuto penalizzare il racconto. La gamma di colori impiega le tinte naturalmente calde dell’Africa, e quelle chiaroscurali, fredde di Parigi.

produzione/production
Prima Linea Productions
30, boulevard Saint-Jacques, 75014 Paris - France
phone +33 153632303
fax +33 153632301
www.primalinea.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
festival contact
The Festival Agency
www.thefestivalagency.com 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
distribuzione internazionale/world sales

Pathé International
2, rue Lamennais, 75008 Paris - France
phone +33 171723000
fax +33 171723310
www.patheinternational.com
www.pathedistribution.com