logo 2012

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2012 - 14.24 July

Sections & Films

COOL KIDS DON'T CRY

Category: Edition 2012

Synopsis
Football crazy 12 year-old girl, Akkie, lives for the school soccer tournament. Full of confidence and spirit, she defies the taunts of her classmate, Joep, who doesn’t think girls should be allowed to join in at a “boy’s” game. Indeed, his campaign to keep the pitch female free only fuels her determination more. Then one day, without any warning, Akkie finds herself tackled to the ground by an enemy far worse than any boy could be. Taken to the doctor by her concerned parents after repeated nosebleeds, tests reveal the shattering news that she has Leukaemia. But as the illness takes hold and she is forced to undergo painful chemotherapy, Akkie begins to discover the extraordinary power of friendship and, of course, football.

Sinossi
Akkie, 12 anni, è una grande amante del calcio, e sembra vivere solo per il torneo scolastico. Piena di tenacia e di passione, respinge con forza le prese in giro di un compagno di classe, Joep, il quale pensa che il calcio non sia uno sport per ragazze. La campagna di Joep per escludere le presenze femminili dal campo di calcio ha come unico risultato quello di accrescere la determinazione di Akkie. Poi, inaspettatamente, un giorno Akkie si ritrova a doversi misurare con un nemico peggiore di qualunque ragazzo. I suoi genitori, preoccupati per il fatto che la figlia ha avuto diverse perdite di sangue dal naso, la portano da un medico, e le analisi cliniche rivelano una notizia sconvolgente: Akkie ha la leucemia. Tuttavia, proprio nel momento in cui si vede costretta a fronteggiare il divampare della malattia e i dolori della chemioterapia, Akkie inizia a scoprire il prodigioso potere dell’amicizia e del calcio.

Original Title Achtste-Groepers Huilen Niet
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 96’
Production Year 2012
Nationality Belgium, Netherlands
Directed by Dennis Bots
Screenplay Karin van Holst Pellekaan
Based on the book ""
by Jacques Vriens
Director of photography Gerd Schelfhout
Editor Philippe Ravoet
Production Design Florian Legters
Costume Design Margriet Procee
Sound Herman Pieëte
Music Johan Hoogewijs
Main cast Hanna Obbeek (Akkie)
Nils Verkooijen (Joep)
Fiona Livingston (Elise)
Bram Flick (Laurens)
Amin Belyandouz (Brammetje)
Eva van der Gucht (Ina)
Produced by Reinier Selen, Harro van Staverden, David Jan-Bijker, Michiel Bartels

dennis-BotsDennis Bots
Born 1974, Kitwe (Zambia). In 1996 he graduated as a scriptwriter and director from the Dutch Film and TV Academy in Amsterdam. In 1997 he directed his first short, REFLECMENT, followed by EMERGENCY EXIT (2001), which was screened at Cannes and won Silver Gryphon Award at GFF 2002. In 2005 he directed his first feature, ZOOP IN AFRIKA. Then he made two feature films (THE PATH OF THE 7 SINS / HET PAD DER 7 ZONDEN, 2008; THE REVENGE OF ARGHUS / DE WRAAK VAN ARGHUS, 2009) and a TV movie (THE RETURN OF SIBUNA / DE TERUGKEER VAN SIBUNA, 2010), based on the TV series THE HOUSE OF ANUBIS (HET HUIS ANUBIS), which he also directed.

Dennis Bots
Nato nel 1974 a Kitwe, Zambia. Nel 1996 si diploma in Sceneggiatura e Regia all’Accademia Olandese di Cinema e Televisione di Amsterdam. Nel 1997 dirige il suo primo corto, REFLECMENT, seguito da EMERGENCY EXIT (2001), presentato a Cannes e vincitore del Grifone d’Argento al GFF 2002. Nel 2005 debutta nel lungometraggio con ZOOP IN AFRIKA. Dirige poi due lungometraggi (THE PATH OF THE 7 SINS / HET PAD DER 7 ZONDEN, 2008; THE REVENGE OF ARGHUS / DE WRAAK VAN ARGHUS, 2009), e un film tv (THE RETURN OF SIBUNA / DE TERUGKEER VAN SIBUNA, 2010), ispirati alla serie tv THE HOUSE OF ANUBIS (HET HUIS ANUBIS), per cui Bots ha diretto diversi episodi.

Director’s statement
Akkie actually existed. Her real name was Anke and she was a pupil of Jacques Vriens. Her strong, vibrant character made an ineradicable impression on everyone in her class and certainly on her teacher Jacques Vriens. I was touched by the story of this girl that also battled this disease in real life. Her persistence and determination to keep living spoke to me. Plus, the topicality of cancer, a disease that is unfortunately still on the incline, makes this into a film I think had to be made. Especially for the children! The story is both timeless and topical. Children are still dying as a result of cancer. Nowadays 80% is cured according to the positive reports from the scientists, but it still means that 2 in 10 children die. This film is about those children. An ode to the brave battle of children against this disease. Despite it being a heavy subject, approaching it through the humor and airiness of the characters makes it an accessible film, even hopeful, for young and old. A good film is a film you experience with the characters. That’s the power of this film. Together with Akkie and her classmates you experience the disease and want to stay hopeful. Crying, laughing, enjoying with the characters. I hope everybody leaves the theatre with a smile on their face and a tear on their cheek, but especially realizing what a terrible disease cancer is – which unfortunately still strikes too many people and children.

Dichiarazioni del regista
Akkie è realmente esistita. Il suo vero nome era Anke, ed era un’allieva di Jacques Vriens. Il suo carattere forte e volitivo ha lasciato un segno indelebile nella sua classe e certamente anche nel suo maestro. Mi ha commosso la storia di questa ragazza che ha lottato contro la malattia nella vita reale. Mi hanno conquistato la sua determinazione e la sua voglia di continuare a vivere. Inoltre, l’attualità del cancro, un male che purtroppo è ancora difficile da debellare, mi ha portato a realizzare un film che penso fosse necessario girare. Soprattutto per i ragazzi! È una storia attuale e senza tempo. I bambini continuano a morire a causa del cancro. Oggi l’80% riesce a sconfiggere la malattia, secondo i dati degli scienziati, ma questo significa che due bambini su dieci muoiono. Il film parla di questi bambini, è un’ode alle loro coraggiose battaglie contro questa malattia. Nonostante si tratti di un argomento difficile, l’umorismo e la levità dei personaggi ne fanno un film leggero, ottimista, per giovani e per adulti. Un buon film è un film in cui ti immedesimi e vivi con i personaggi: qui sta la forza di questo film. Con Akkie e i suoi compagni, si fa esperienza della malattia e si vuole essere ottimisti. Si piange, si ride, ci si diverte insieme ai personaggi. Spero che il pubblico lasci la sala con il sorriso sul volto e una lacrima sulla guancia, ma soprattutto con la consapevolezza di quanto sia terribile il cancro, una malattia che purtroppo colpisce troppe persone e troppi bambini.

produzione/production
festival contact

Rinkel Film
Rapenburgerstraat 109, 1011 VL Amsterdam - The Netherlands
phone +31 206163231
fax +31 205307119
www.rinkelfilm.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
--
Bijker Productions
Vaartweg 163D (Oude Loswal), Hilversum, 1217SP - The Netherlands
phone +31 356252040
distribuzione internazionale/world sales
High Point Media Group
Suite 16, Deane House Studios, Greenwood Place, London NW5 1LB - UK
phone +44 2074246870
fax +44 2074853281
www.highpointmediagroup.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.