logo 2011

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2011 - 12.21 July

Sections & Films

THE ART OF GETTING BY

Category: Edition 2011

Synopsis

George Zinavoy is a smart and fatalistic teenage loner. He has made it to his senior year without ever having done a real day of work. He is befriended by Sally Howe, the school beauty, a complicated girl who hides her melancholy behind the protective mask of popularity. Sally recognizes in him a kindred spirit. An unlikely connection blooms as George and Sally bond over their troubled parental relationships. Meanwhile, with his education hanging by a thread, George concedes to let Dustin mentor him. Dustin, 25 year-old, is a successful artist, and he’s finally someone George can respect and trust. With Sally and Dustin by his side, George blossoms and dares to look towards the future.

Sinossi

George Zinavoy è un adolescente sveglio, dalla vivace intelligenza, fatalista, solitario e introverso. È riuscito ad arrivare all’anno del diploma senza mai essersi realmente impegnato negli studi. Incontra Sally Howe, la più bella della scuola, una ragazza che nasconde la sua indole malinconica dietro la maschera della popolarità, e che riconosce in George la sua anima gemella. Tra George e Sally, accomunati dai problematici rapporti con i rispettivi genitori, nasce un intenso e imprevisto legame. Ma intanto la carriera scolastica di George è appesa a un filo. Così il ragazzo decide di cercare una guida: la trova in Dustin, 25 anni, un artista di successo, e soprattutto una persona a cui George può finalmente donare rispetto e fiducia. Con l’aiuto di Sally e Dustin, George potrà trovare il coraggio di crescere e di aprirsi al futuro.

Original Title THE ART OF GETTING BY
Italian Title L'ARTE DI CAVARSELA
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 84'
Production Year 2011
Nationality USA
Directed by Gavin Wiesen
Screenplay Gavin Wiesen
Script Gavin Wiesen
Director of photography Ben Kutchins
Editor Mollie Goldstein
Production Design Kelly McGehee
Costume Design Erika Munro
Music Alec Puro
Main cast Freddie Highmore (George Zinavoy)
Emma Roberts (Sally Howe)
Michael Angarano (Dustin)
Elizabeth Reaser (Charlotte Howe)
Sam Robards (Jack Sargent)
Alicia Silverstone (Ms. Herman)
Produced by Kara Baker, Darren Goldberg, P. Jennifer Dana, Gia Walsh

the art of getting by dirGavin Wiesen

Born and raised in New York City. He attended NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts. After college, he spent two years assisting director Bruce Paltrow for the feature film DUETS (2000). In 2002 Gavin produced the feature film DRAFTDODGING, directed by Wendall Adams. Later he wrote and directed the short film KILL THE DAY (2008). THE ART OF GETTING BY, his feature directorial debut, was screened at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, under the title HOMEWORK.

Gavin Wiesen
Nato e cresciuto a New York. Ha frequentato la Tisch School of the Arts di New York. Dopo l’università, è stato per due anni assistente del regista Bruce Paltrow per il film DUETS (2000). Nel 2002, Gavin ha prodotto il film DRAFTDOGING, diretto da Wendall Adams. In seguito ha scritto e diretto il cortometraggio KILL THE DAY (2008). THE ART OF GETTING BY, il suo primo lungometraggio da regista, è stato presentato in concorso al Sundance Film Festival 2011, con il titolo HOMEWORK.

Director’s statement

"At 17 or 18, most of us are at a critical point. We are about to graduate from high school and enter a scary unknown – the adult world. You have to shed childhood very quickly. For George, high school is a useless task. But homework in this case is a metaphor for life. It’s the thing that we don’t want to do, but we have to do if we are going to have any life at all including love, sports, art, family, growing up. George has no reason to try and no idea where his life is going. When he gets to know this very special girl, he suddenly has something that gives his life meaning. Even if she’s not reciprocating his feelings and they’re just becoming friends, it still spurs him into action. I’d been working on scripts based on other people’s ideas for a while, but the whole time I was thinking about the kind of films I wanted to see and make. So I decided to come up with something emotionally personal, if not completely autobiographical. George is an exaggerated version of the kid I was. He has given up before he’s even tried. He gets all the way through school just by showing up. And all it takes to make him understand the value of making an effort is for a certain girl to come along and capture his imagination".

Dichiarazioni del regista

"A 17 o 18 anni, molti di noi attraversano una fase critica. È l’età in cui il liceo sta per finire e i ragazzi devono affrontare l’incertezza del futuro, che spesso fa paura: il mondo degli adulti. E devono crescere molto velocemente. Per George il liceo è solo un’inutile scocciatura. Ma in questo film i compiti diventano una metafora più ampia. Sono un impegno, qualcosa che siamo costretti a fare se vogliamo costruirci una vita, degli affetti, una famiglia, interessi sportivi e artistici, insomma se vogliamo crescere. George non si sente motivato a impegnarsi e non ha nessun progetto. Quando incontra questa ragazza speciale, improvvisamente trova un senso alla sua vita. Anche se lei non ricambia i suoi sentimenti, George si sente comunque spronato ad agire. Per un po’ di tempo ho lavorato su copioni basati sulle idee di altre persone, ma dentro di me non facevo altro che pensare al genere di film che avrei desiderato fare. Perciò ho scelto un argomento personale, che suscita emozioni, parzialmente autobiografico".

Production

Goldcrest Films
65/66 Dean Street, London, W1D 4PL – UK
UK phone +44 2074378696
USA phone +1 2122434700
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.goldcrestfilms.com

World sales

Fox Searchlight Pictures
www.foxsearchlight.com

Italian distribution

20th Century Fox Italia
www.20thfox.it