logo 2009

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2009 - 12.25 July

Sections & Films

THE RACE

Category: Edition 2009

Synopsis

Eleven year old Mary lives with her estranged parents on a struggling farm in rural County Antrim, Northern Ireland. With her exasperated mother and proud, stubborn father constantly at each other's throats over lack of funds and the future of the farm, life at home is far from ideal. But Mary has other plans. Ever since she can remember, she has dreamed of becoming a racing driver, so when a rich local farmer sets up a go-cart race down in the valley, she can't resist the chance to enter. But with opposition from home, general scorn from the community and the fact that she is a girl trying to make it in a boy's world, the road to success is never going to be easy. Mary does not give in so easily though. With perseverance, determination and a little help from her loyal friend, Tom, she sets about building a go-cart.

Sinossi

Mary, 11 anni, vive con i genitori – ormai quasi due estranei - in una fattoria nella contea rurale di Antrim, nel Nord dell’Irlanda. La madre, orgogliosa ed esasperata, e il padre, uomo rude e testardo, si aggrediscono continuamente a causa della mancanza di soldi e delle preoccupazioni circa il futuro della fattoria. La vita a casa non è dunque idilliaca, ma Mary ha altri piani. Fin da piccola sogna di diventare un pilota di auto da corsa e quando un ricco proprietario terriero del luogo organizza una corsa di go-kart giù a valle, la bambina non può non cogliere l’occasione e tentare di partecipare. Tuttavia i suoi genitori si oppongono, al villaggio tutti la prendono in giro e il fatto di essere una ragazza che vuole affermarsi in un mondo riservato ai maschi non rende semplice percorrere la strada verso il successo. Ma Mary non si arrende così facilmente. Con perseveranza, determinazione e un piccolo aiuto da parte del suo amico Tom, la bambina decide di costruirsi un go-kart.

Original Title THE RACE
Italian Title IL SOGNO DI MARY
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90'
Production Year 2009
Nationality Germany, Ireland
Directed by André F. Nebe
Screenplay Rowan O'Neill
Script Rowan O'Neill
Director of photography Dirk Morgenstern
Editor Diana Karsten, Dirk Schwarz
Production Design Grant Hicks
Costume Design Leonie Prendergast
Sound Guido Zettier
Music Eike Hosenfeldt, Moritz Denis, Tim Stanzel
Main cast Niamh McGirr (Mary Kensay)
Colm Meaney (il padre di Mary/Mary's father)
Susan Lynch (la madre di Mary/Mary's mother)
Jonathan Mason (Tom)
Ciaran Flynn (Roy)
Eoin McAndrew (Michael Magee)
Produced by Michael Garland, Martin Hagemann

the race regAndré F. Nebe
Born in 1973 in Berlin (Germany). He obtained a degree in law at Humboldt University in 2000 and in 2004 a diploma at the directing class at the Hamburg University. In the following years he attended several professional seminars and in 2005 he founded the production company Tucano Film in Berlin. In 2007 he participated to the MEDIA Training Programme "European Films Crossing Borders". The following year he became board member of the Directors Guild Of Germany and directed his first feature film THE RACE.

André F. Nebe
André è nato nel 1973 a Berlino. Nel 2000 si laurea in legge e nel 2004 si diploma alla scuola di regia dell’Università di Amburgo. Negli anni successivi frequenta diversi seminari professionali. Nel 2005 fonda la Tucano Film a Berlino e nel 2007 partecipa al MEDIA Training Programme “European Films Crossing Borders”. L’anno seguente diviene membro del Directors Guild Of Germany e dirige il suo primo lungometraggio, THE RACE.

Director's statement
“What I liked about the script is that it’s a family film, not a story of violence, but a feel-good movie in a way that doesn’t necessarily mean it doesn’t have any drama or conflict and I hope that people have the same feeling when they are leaving the cinema that I had when I read the script”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“Quello che mi è piaciuto della sceneggiatura è che si tratta di un film sulla famiglia, non di una storia di violenza, ma di un film che ti fa stare bene, in un modo che non significa necessariamente che non ci sia nessun dramma o conflitto. Mi auguro che le persone abbiano uscendo dal cinema la stessa sensazione che ho avuto io quando ho letto la sceneggiatura”.

Production
Grand Pictures (Ireland)
Zero Fiction (Germany)

World sales
Festival contact
High Point Media Group
Suite 16, Deane House Studios, Greenwood Place, London NW5 1LB - United Kingdom
phone +44 2074246870
fax +44 2074853281
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.highpointfilms.co.uk