logo 2009

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2009 - 12.25 July

Sections & Films

NO HARD FEELINGS!

Category: Edition 2009

Synopsis

1955. A boarding school in Belgium. Laurent Matagne (17 years old), thinks he recognizes in his French teacher nicknamed “Vapour”, his father who disappeared during an air raid in 1940. Vapour is eccentric, mysterious, disturbing and brilliant and gives his passion for literature so strongly that Matagne wants to become a writer. Matagne and his friend Boulette decide to hold an investigation. As they build a plot in order to confound Vapour, Matagne devises at the same time his first novel.

Sinossi

1955. Una scuola in Belgio. Laurent Matagne, 17 anni, pensa di riconoscere nel suo professore di francese, soprannominato “Vapour”, il padre scomparso durante un bombardamento aereo nel 1940. Vapour è eccentrico, misterioso, inquietante, brillante, e fa appassionare Matagne così tanto alla letteratura che il ragazzo decide di diventare uno scrittore. Nel frattempo, Matagne e il suo amico Boulette decidono di investigare: architettano un piano per confondere Vapour, e Matagne, allo stesso tempo, inizia a scrivere il suo primo romanzo.

Original Title SANS RANCUNE!
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 104'
Production Year 2009
Nationality Belgium, France
Directed by Yves Hanchar
Screenplay Yves Hanchar
Script Yves Hanchar
Director of photography Remon Fromont
Editor Sandrine Deegen
Production Design Philippe Graff
Costume Design Claire Dubien
Music George van Dam
Main cast Milan Mauger (Laurent Matagne)
Thierry Lhermitte (Vapeur)
Benoît Cauden (Boulette)
Marianne Basler (Jeanne Matagne)
Alexandra Vandernoot (Isabelle Dunant)
Christian Crahay (Henri Desaje)
Produced by Rosanne Van Haesebrouck, Martine De Clermont-Tonnerre

no hard feelings regYves Hanchar
He was born in 1960 in Belgium. Writer, actor and director, made his directorial debut in 1992 with the short 8 EN JEU. In 1994 he directed his first feature THE CHESS GAME (1994) with Catherine Deneuve and in 2000 his second feature HOLIDAY.

Yves Hanchar
Yves è nato in Belgio nel 1960. Sceneggiatore, attore e regista, debutta dietro la macchina da presa dirigendo il corto 8 EN JEU (1992). Due anni dopo è impegnato nella regia del lungometraggio THE CHESS GAME (1994), con Catherine Deneuve, e nel 2000 è la volta del suo secondo film, HOLIDAY.

Director’s statement
“NO HARD FEELINGS is a fictional story though strongly connected with my adolescence; in fact my grandfather went missing during the war, strong feelings made me come out of my adolescence all of a sudden and convinced me to make something out of my life but I had problems understanding what and why, a French teacher, who was a real genius, the research of a model figure. All these together are the main features that have helped me create the plot of my film. Therefore Laurent Matagne has something of my father, myself, of all of you. He rushes towards the end of his ungrateful years smiling and with emotions this tragicomical age imply. Life puts Vapour on his path. Vapour is the French teacher's name inspiring Fear and Laughter at the same time. He is a man capable of dealing with knowledge with humour and stupidity with great determination”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“NO HARD FEELINGS è un film di finzione, ma ha un forte legame con la mia adolescenza. Mio nonno disperso in guerra, il sentimento urgente che mi ha fatto uscire all’improvviso dall’adolescenza e fare qualcosa della mia vita, la mia difficoltà, di sapere cosa e come, un professore di francese geniale, la ricerca di un modello, sono gli elementi che mi hanno aiutato a costruire l’intreccio del film. Così Laurent Matagne ha un po’ di mio padre, di me, di voi: accelera la sua corsa verso la fine degli anni ingrati, con tutti i sorrisi ma anche tutte le emozioni che questo periodo tragicomico comporta. La vita ha messo Vapour sul suo cammino. Vapour ispira sia paura che risate, è un uomo che gestisce la conoscenza con umorismo e la stupidità con intransigenza”.

Production
To Do Today Productions

--

Mact Productions

--

Frakas Productions RTBF

World sales

Festival contact
Pyramide International
5, rue du Chevalier de Saint Gorge, 75008 Paris - France
phone +33 142960220
fax +33 140200551