logo 2004

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2004 - 17.24 July

Sections & Films

ELLA ENCHANTED

Category: Edition 2004

Synopsis

Ella lives in a magical world where all children are given a gift from a fairy Godmother at the moment of their birth. Little Ella’s birthright is the gift – and curse – of obedience: she is forced to do anything she is commanded. Ella’s life hardly seems to be in her own control. Things only get worse when Ella’s father remarries, bringing into her life a stepmother, the dastardly Dame Olga, and two sinister stepsisters, Hattie and Olive. Ella is newly determined to gain her independence and break free from the spell that binds her once and for all. She sets off on a quest of discovery through the Kingdom’s most dangerous and darkest forests – where she finds a fellow traveller in a go-getting Elf – to the King’s castle. Along the way she crosses paths with the idolized Prince Char, who so often graces the cover of “Medieval Teen” magazine. But most of all, Ella will discover her own power to fight for what’s in her heart.

Original Title ELLA ENCHANTED
Italian Title ELLA ENCHANTED - IL MAGICO MONDO DI ELLA
Category Out of competition
Section Premiere
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 95'
Production Year 2004
Nationality USA
Directed by Tommy O’Haver
Screenplay Laurie Craig, Karen McCullah Lutz, Kirsten Smith, Jennifer Heath, Michele J. Wolff
Based on the book "Ella Enchanted"
by Gail Carson Levine
Director of photography John de Borman
Editor Masahiro Hirakubo
Production Design Norman Garwood
Costume Design Ruth Myers
Sound Christopher Scarabosio
Music Bryan Adams, Nick Glennie-Smith
Main cast Anne Hathaway (Ella)
Hugh Dancy (Prince Charmont/Principe)
Cary Elwes (Sir Edgar)
Aidan McArdle (Slannen)
Joanna Lumley (Olga)
Lucy Punch (Hattie)
Produced by Jane Startz
Access

ella enchanted regTommy O’Haver

Born 1968, Indianapolis (USA). After a degree in critical studies in film, he moved to L.A. where he worked as a production assistant on FREDDY’S DEAD: THE FINAL NIGHTMARE and made his first short film, THE PITCH. He studied at the School of Cinema and Television of University of Southern California (USC) where he made the short films: CATALINA, TWO and HAPPY HOUR. In 1995, O’Haver directed his first feature film BILLY’S HOLLYWOOD SCREEN KISS, followed by a second film GET OVER IT. ELLA ENCHANTED marks O’Haver’s third feature film.

Director’s statement

“I loved the story because I saw the potential for it to be about more than just a girl who breaks her own curse. To me, it came to be about a young woman whose spirit of adventure liberates an entire kingdom. It’s a girl power story, but it’s also a story for everyone.
“I’ve always loved fantasy films, as well as cartoons and fairy tales and it’s what I’ve most wanted to direct. I was thrilled by the chance to take this enchanted world and make it my own, give it a real personality, a strong sense of spirit and irreverence.
“I wanted to merge the old-fashioned sensibilities, settings and values of traditional fairy tales with the kind of a rocking comedy-adventure, and hopefully make something new”.

World sales
Miramax International
www.miramax.com

Italian distribution
Festival contact
Buena Vista International Italia
Via Cantalupo in Sabina 29, 00191 Roma - Italy
phone +39 06 330831
fax +39 06 33083270
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.buenavista.it