logo 2004

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2004 - 17.24 July

Sections & Films

MY MAGICAL FRIEND SAMS

Category: Edition 2004

Synopsis

Martin is a shy 11 year-old kid. He has no friends and he is continually harassed by his mean gym teacher. When his father, a technical advisor in the school, hands out invitations to Martin’s birthday party, no classmates show up. But all this is about to change. His dad finds his secret potion-filled bottle, drinks it, and voila! Sams is there! Now Martin has a magical friend, full of mischief and a face full of blue freckles, each one worth one wish. With every new batch there are many crazy side effects but soon Martin learns how to wish with precision, and begins to win lots of friends, good grades and, unfortunately, the greedy attention of his gym teacher. Then suddenly the Sams disappears, and strange things happen: the teacher becomes school principal, has a new car, a villa and a new girlfriend, the gorgeous math teacher. Worst of all, Martin is kicked out of school and his dad gets fired. The gym teacher must have kidnapped the Sams and everything seems to be lost, but Martin is determined to go in search of his friend…and to find him.

Original Title SAMS IN GEFAHR
Category Official Competition
Section First Screens
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 120'
Production Year 2003
Nationality Germany
Directed by Ben Verbong
Screenplay Paul Maar, Ulrich Limmer
Based on the book "Sams in Gefahr"
by Paul Maar
Director of photography Jan Fehse
Editor Alexander Berner
Sound Eckhard W. Kuchenbecker
Main cast Ulrich Noethen (Bruno)
Constantin Gastmann (Martin)
Christine Urspruch (Sams - Frau Scheinbar)
Eva Mattes (Annemarie)
Ina Weisse (Margarete)
Dominique Horwitz (Fitzgerald)
Produced by Ulrich Limmer
Access

my magical friend sams regBen Verbong

Born in 1949 in Tegelen (The Netherlands). He studied Pedagogy before becoming one of the most well-known directors in Holland in the Eighties. Among his films: THE GIRL WITH THE RED HAIR (HET MEISJE MET HET RODE HAAR, 1981), THE SCORPION (DER SCHORPIOEN, 1984), LILY WAS HERE (LILY, 1989) and HOUSE CALL (DE FLAT, 1996). He has been living and working in Germany for three years, directing the television films SCHOCK - EINE FRAU IN ANGST (1998), the TATORT-series episode KINDER DER GEWALT (1999), the thriller LIEBER, BOESER WEIHNACHTSMANN (1999), THE SLURB (Das Sams, 2001), HANNA - WO BIST DU? (TV, 2001) and MY MAGICAL FRIEND SAMS (SAMS IN GEFAHR, 2003).

Director’s statement

“MY MAGICAL FRIEND SAMS is the sequel from DAS SAMS, a film that was very successful in Germany and The Netherlands. Both films are based on the famous series Sams-books, written by the German author Paul Maar. The irony and the absurdity in the novels attracted me and challenged me to direct these family entertainment films. Although MY MAGICAL FRIEND SAMS is meant for children, I think that also a grown-up audience will love him. A 10-year old boy is the lead character but the emotions and the human values which the film is dealing with are of any age: humiliation, loneliness and the fight for respect. How to deal with enemies, how to find the power to fight back and to stand up for yourself”.

Production
Collina Filmproduktions GmbH
Arnulfstr.297, 80639 Munich - Germany
phone +49 8917877208
fax +49 8917877199
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.collinafilm.de

--
Constantin Film Produktion
Kaiserstrasse 39, 80801 Munich - Germany
phone +49 89386090
fax +49 8938609279
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.constantin-film.de

World sales
Festival contact
Beta Cinema
Robert-Bürkle-Strasse 3, D-85737 Ismaning - Germany
phone +49 8999562707
fax +49 8999562703

www.betacinema.com