logo 2003

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2003 - 19.26 July

Sections & Films

THE BOYS OF VIA PÁL

Category: Edition 2003

Synopsis

Budapest, at the beginning of the twentieth century. Nemecsek, a slender, timid boy, the son of Andreas the tailor, is trying to join the “Stucco Society”, a group of students who are searching for a place where they can play without being disturbed by the “Red Shirts”, a bullying rival gang. The head of the Society is Boka, an older, stronger boy. Nemecsek is allowed to join the gang when, in the suburban Via Pàl, he discovers an abandoned sawmill, inhabited by a middle-aged man called Janos, apparently surly but in reality soft hearted. But when Nemecsek takes the members of the Society to via Pàl, Janos, busy with an unidentified job, sends them away. The beautiful Edith, grandmother of one of the boys and owner of a Law Firm, goes to Via Pàl ready to do battle with the man, but she finds herself facing Janos, the old friend of whom she had lost all trace. Janos allows the boys to use the courtyard of the sawmill and begins to visit Edith again. Things seem to be getting better, but two threats are menacing the Society: the Red Shirts want to take over the sawmill courtyard and the owner, the perfidious Julia, Janos’ ex-wife, wants to build on the land. With Janos and Edith on their side the boys fight to defend their playground.

Original Title I RAGAZZI DELLA VIA PÁL
Italian Title I RAGAZZI DELLA VIA PÁL
Category Out of competition
Section Premiere
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 117'
Production Year 2003
Nationality Italy
Directed by Maurizio Zaccaro
Screenplay Massimo De Rita, Ottavio Jemma, Alessandro De Rita, Maurizio Zaccaro
Based on the book "The Paul Street Boys" ("A Pál utcai fiúk")
by Ferenc Molnár
Director of photography Gino Sgreva
Editor Simona Paggi
Production Design Bruno Amalfitano, Lóránd Jávor
Costume Design Liliana Sotira
Sound Ottó Oláh
Music Franco Piersanti
Main cast Virna Lisi (Edith)
Mario Adorf (Janos)
Nancy Brilli (Anna)
Gáspár Mesés (Nemecsek)
Csaba Gáspár (Boka)
János Gosztonyi (dottore/doctor)
Produced by Angelo Rizzoli Jr.
Access

the boys of via pal regMaurizio Zaccaro

Born 1952, Milan. After obtaining a diploma from the Cinema School in Milan, he made 16 short films before making the film IN CODA ALLA CODA for the cinema and television laboratory Ipotesi Cinema, based on an idea by Paolo Vermarana and Ermanno Olmi. He went on to make DOVE COMINICA LA NOTTE (1990), KALKSTEIN - LA VALLE DI PIETRA (1992), L’ARTICOLO 2 (1993), IL CARNIERE (1996) and UN UOMO PERBENE (1999), for which he was awarded the Special Event Prize at the 56th International Venice Film Festival. For television he directed the TV movie TESTA MATTA (1995), the mini-series LA MISSIONE (1997), the television series CRISTAL DI ROCCA (1998), UN DONO SEMPLICE (2000), CUORE (2001), based on the book by Edmondo De Amicis and THE BOYS OF VIA PÁL, based on the book by Ferenc Molnár. Zaccaro has won numerous prizes for his films and his television productions. In 1991, for ARTICOLO 2, he was awarded the Solinas prize for the best original screenplay.

Director’s statement

“Instead of re-reading Molnar’s novel I tried to recall everything that, thirty seven years after I read it for the first time, has remained in my memory. Strangely, instead of the epic gestures of the protagonists, the first thing that sprang to my mind was the yearning atmosphere of the settings. Then I thought of the protagonists. Who did I like most? Who made me laugh…or cry? Who did I hate? And who did I love? I had chosen my hero, the character that most excited my boyish fantasy; it was Ferenc Ats! Boka was clever, certainly, rather too clever, Nemecsek was too young, Csonakos too impulsive, Gereb too much a turncoat. Ats was the pure one, a shining, classical hero. He had values, unshakeable trust, and the dignity of one who has lost”.

Production
World sales
Rizzoli audiovisivi s.p.a.

Festival contact
Mediaset
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.