logo 2003

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2003 - 19.26 July

Sections & Films

WHALE RIDER

Category: Edition 2003

Synopsis

In a New Zealand coastal village, the Maoris claim descent from Paikea, the Whale Rider. For over 1,000 years, in every generation a male heir born to the Chief succeeds to the title. The time has arrived. The Chief's son, Porourangi, fathers twins – a boy and a girl. But the boy and his mother die in childbirth. Porourangi is left with his surviving daughter, Pai, who is raised by her grandparents: Koro, the Chief who refuses to acknowledge Pai as the inheritor of the tradition, and his wife Flowers, who sees Pai simply as a child in need of love. When Porourangi, now a feted international artist, returns home after twelve years, Koro hopes he will become his successor. But Porourangi soon leaves, taking Pai with him. The girl quickly returns home, claiming her grandfather needs her, but Koro is blinded by prejudice. He is convinced that the tribe’s misfortunes began at Pai’s birth and calls for his people to bring their 12 year old boys to him for training. He is certain that through training the future leader of their tribe will be revealed to him. Meanwhile a massive herd of whales become stranded on the beach. Koro is sure this signals an apocalyptic end to his tribe.

Original Title WHALE RIDER
Italian Title LA RAGAZZA DELLE BALENE
Category Official Competition
Section Free to Fly
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 105'
Production Year 2002
Nationality New Zealand
Directed by Niki Caro
Screenplay Niki Caro
Based on the book “The Whale Rider”
by Witi Ihimaera
Director of photography Leon Narbey
Editor David Coulson
Costume Design Kirsty Cameron
Sound André Zimmermann, David Madigan
Music Lisa Gerrard
Main cast Keisha Castle-Hughes (Paikea)
Rawiri Paratene (Koro)
Vicky Haughton (la nonna/Nanny Flowers)
Cliff Curtis (Porourangi)
Grant Roa (Rawiri)
Mana Taumaunu (Hemi)
Produced by Tim Sanders, John Barnett, Frank Hübner
Access

whale rider regNiki Caro

Born 1967, Wellington (New Zealand). Director and screenwriter, she debuts with the short films SURE TO RISE, which competed in Cannes in 1994, and FOOTAGE, presented in Venice in 1996. Her first feature film, MEMORY AND DESIRE, was selected for the Critics' Week at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival and the following year obtained the prize for Best New Zealand Film.

Director’s statement

“I approached the adaptation from the point of view of somebody who was once a 12-year-old girl. […] I felt I needed to serve the story and that’s been my ethic throughout the filmmaking process. I talked and talked and talked and listened and listened and listened and when I didn’t understand something I had people I could go and speak to, which was lucky”.

Production
South Pacific Pictures Ltd.
8 Tolich Place, Henderson, Auckland – New Zealand
phone +64 98390999
fax +64 98390990
www.spp.co.nz

www.whaleriderthemovie.com

World sales
The Works
Portland House, 4th Floor, 4 Great Portland Street, London W1W 8QJ - UK
phone +44 2076121080
fax +44 2076121081

Italian distribution
Bim
Via Marianna Dionigi 57, 00193 Roma - Italy
phone +39 06 3231057
fax +39 06 3211984
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.bimfilm.com