logo 2003

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2003 - 19.26 July

Sections & Films

THE WAY HOME

Category: Edition 2003

Synopsis

Seven year-old Sang-Woo was born and grew up in a big city. Due to economic problems his mother leaves him for a time with his grandmother, a mute woman who has spent all her life in a small rural village. Here the boy finds himself facing a completely new way of life. In the country house there is no television and the bathroom is in the yard. The food his grandmother prepares is very different from that of the fast-food restaurants in the city and there is only water to drink. When the batteries of his video-game run down, Sang-Woo cannot find any to replace them. Also, communicating with his grandmother is not easy. However, as the days go by the boy discovers how much generosity and love his grandmother is capable of. At the market she buys the things he likes, then gives him a ticket for the bus to return to her house, while she walks the distance. When it is time for Sang-Woo to return to the city, he finds that it is very painful to leave his grandmother, who he now loves and understands profoundly.

Original Title JIBURO
Category Official Competition
Section Free to Fly
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 87'
Production Year 2002
Nationality South Korea
Directed by Lee Jung-Hyang
Screenplay Lee Jung-Hyang
Script Lee Jung-Hyang
Director of photography Yoon Hong-Shik
Editor Kim Sang-Beom, Kim Jae-Beom
Production Design Song Hyun-Young
Sound Park Jun-Oh
Music Kim Dae-Hong, Kim Yang-Hee
Main cast Kim Eul-Boon (nonna/grandmother)
Yoo Seung-Ho (Sang-woo)
Min Kyung-Hoon (Cheol-e)
Yim Eun-Kyung (Hae-Yeon)
Dong Hyo-Hee (mother/mamma)
Produced by Whang Woo-Hyun, Whang Jae-Woo
Access

the way home regLee Jung-Hyang

Born 1964, South Korea. She graduated from Sogang University and has a major in French Language & Literature. In 1988 she graduated from the Korean Film Academy. One year later she directed her first documentary A PLACE FOR EVE. In the following years she worked as an assistant director (LIKE RAIN, LIKE MUSIC, 1992; DECLARATION OF GENIUS, 1995) and in 1998 she made her debut feature ART MUSEUM BY THE ZOO.

Director’s statement

“I wanted to portray the grandmother as nature, which gives us life and raises us. She is someone who gives us everything unconditionally. […] Sang-Woo represents all of us, including myself. We all want to be protected and loved by someone. […] I insisted on keeping the shooting locations as original as possible and I hired local villagers and shot the scenes pretty much in their original sequence so that the film would be natural”.

Production
Tube Pictures
3rd Fl Shinwoo Bldg 656, Shinsa-dong, Kangnam-ku, Seoul 135-120 - Korea
phone +822 5479347
fax +822 5479348
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.tube-entertainment.co.kr

World sales
CJ Entertainment
11th Fl Cheiljedang bldg. 500, Namdaemoon RO 5GA Chung-ku, Seoul 100-802 - Korea
phone +822 7268488
fax +822 7268291
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.cjent.co.kr

Festival contact
Tube Entit