immagine gff 2022
logo 2018

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2018 - 20.28 july

Sections & Films

SOME FREAKS

Category: Edition 2018

Synopsis
Three oddball friends attend Benjamin Franklin High School in Rhode Island. Jill is punk and overweight, Matt comes from a poor background and only has one eye, wearing a skin-colored eyepatch, and Elmo, who is short and unattractive, is gay. When Matt and Jill begin to date and explore their teen sexuality, Elmo feels even more isolated. After graduation, Jill goes off to California and secretly loses 50 pounds over the course of six months. Matt is a dishwasher in a hometown restaurant and uses his wages to buy a prosthetic eye. Elmo is still in the closet and secretly admires Justin, a basketball player from high school that he had a crush on, who goes to his college. Matt visits Jill at her west coast campus and is surprised by her weight loss. While Matt struggles to accept Jill's new look, Jill begins to question whether Matt is really the man she thought she knew.

Original Title SOME FREAKS
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 97'
Production Year 2017
Nationality USA
Directed by Ian MacAllister McDonald
Screenplay Ian MacAllister McDonald
Director of photography Joe Zizzo
Editor Jonathan Melin, Joel Plotch
Production Design Jonathan Del Ponte, Jennifer Gerbino
Costume Design Melanie Hardy, Jennifer Lynn Tremblay
Music Walter Sickert
Main cast Thomas Mann
Lily Mae Harrington
Ely Henry
Elise Hudson
Lachlan Buchanan
Marin Ireland
Produced by Mia Chang, Tim Harms, Lovell Holder, Ryan Smith

regista Ian MacAllister McDonaldIAN MACALLISTER MCDONALD
Ian MacAllister-McDonald is a playwright, filmmaker, and educator from Portland, Maine. He holds an MFA in Playwriting from Brown University, where he also taught. He is the recipient of two Edward Albee Foundation Fellowships, a MacDowell Colony Fellowship, the Visionary Playwrights Award from Theatre Masters, and a Playwriting Grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, among others. He received a BA in English Literature from Loyola Marymount University, where he recently returned to teach.

Director’s statement
I was sitting on a park bench in Tribeca waiting for a friend, and I saw this young couple walk by. The guy was thin and gawky, and the girl was very curvy. They were hanging all over each other and clearly in love, and I thought they were the most beautiful, interesting-looking couple I'd ever seen, and a story started to form. That was the catalyst. As I started working on the script, I thought a lot about what it was like being young and in love. And for me, it was terrifying. I was kind of a weirdo in high school, and really insecure. The first time I found that person who I really fell for -- I mean, there were wonderful moments, of course, but I also remember being scared a lot of the time. Feeling like I'd somehow tricked them into dating me and that it was only a matter of time before they realized their mistake and took off. This, along with broader themes of identity and body image, were all really appealing things to explore. […] More than anything, I hope that some weirdos out there see the film and recognize their own experiences in it. Even if said experiences aren't entirely pleasant, I think there's something validating about seeing them reflected back at you. It's the beauty of art. It lets you know that although the world can be a tough place, you're not alone in it.

production
Mountview Creative
(USA)

world sales
festival contact
Electric Entertainment
(USA)
www.electricentertainment.com