immagine gff 2022

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Films

HEARTBEAST

Category: Edition 2022

Elina, a 15-year-old aspiring rapper, is forced to leave her homeland of Finland when her mother decides to join her boyfriend in the South of France. Elina is immediately fascinated by her new 17-year-old step-sister, Sofia, a very charismatic ballerina who leads a double life of parties, boys and drugs. But this apparent friendship quickly turns into obsession and a game of power with dramatic consequences. 

Original Title Heartbeast
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 102'
Production Year 2022
Nationality Finland, France, Germany
Directed by Aino Suni
Screenplay Aino Suni
Director of photography Kerttu Hakkarainen
Editor Thibault Hague, Ville Hakonen
Costume Design Julia Fouroux
Sound Thomas Appel
Music Jean-Benoît Dunckel
Main cast Carmen Kassovitz, Elsi Sloan, Adel Bencherif, Camille Chilla, Lucille Guillaume
Produced by Sébastien Aubert, Leslie Jacob, Frauke Kolbmüller, Iolna Tolmunen
Production Adastra Films (Finland)

Aino Suni HeadshotAino Suni

Born in 1985, she is a Helsinki-based director and screenwriter who goes both ways - she directs both fiction as well as documentaries. Suni graduated in 2014 as Master in Film Screenwriting from the University of Salford, UK. Suni's intimate documentary feature NEVER AGAIN about a young Finnish rapper Mercedes Bentso and her empowering journey to recovery was a big hit on YLE (Finnish National Broadcasting Company) in 2019. Likewise, Suni’s documentary series PUSSY DIARIES about female sexual emancipation still sparks conversation, even two years after its broadcast.
On top of features, Suni directs short films, music videos, commercial films and dabbles with photography. Suni's debut fiction feature HEARTBEAST premieres in 2022 and is a unique co-production between France, Finland and Germany.

Director’s statement

“It feels that friendship between girls is the most intimate, dependent relationship there is - even stronger than a marriage. You share everything with your best friend. She is your trusted, she is your worst enemy. Sometimes I’ve wanted a friendship to become something else. I’ve experienced how my crush has become a secret between me and my friend. It has grown bigger and bigger and finally - pushed us apart. It has made me feel like a creep, a weirdo. I wish this story can unveil a unique and closed universe and allow the audience to dive into the contradictory emotions of Elina.”

Production
Adastra Films (Finland)
www.adastra-films.com

International distribution 
Festival contact
Kinology (France)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.