GIFFONI50PLUS - 21.31 JULY 2021

Films

JIM BUTTON AND THE WILD 13

Category: Edition 2021

New adventures await Jim Button and Lukas the engine driver! After the two friends have defeated the dragon Frau Mahlzahn, the pirate gang “The Wild 13” seeks revenge. With their steam locomotives Emma and Molly, the Friends embark on a dangerous journey, on which Jim's most sensitive wish could come true: he finally wants to bring the truth about his mysterious origin to light.

Original Title Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 110'
Production Year 2020
Nationality Germany
Directed by Dennis Gansel
Screenplay Dirk Ahner
Based on the novel "Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13" by Michael Ende
Director of photography Philip Peschlow
Editor Ueli Christen
Production Design Matthias Müsse
Costume Design Anke Winckler
Sound Dieter Keck, Manfred Banach
Make up Georg Korpás
Music Ralf Wengenmayr, Marvin Miller
Main cast Solomon Gordon
Henning Baum
Leighanne Esperanzate
Rick Kavanian
Annette Frier
Christoph Maria Herbst
Uwe Ochsenknecht
Milan Peschel
Sonja Gerhardt
Michael Bully Herbig
Produced by Christian Becker
Production Rat Pack Filmproduktion (Germany)

dennis gansel by oliver reetz 011 copyright Oliver ReetzDennis Gansel

Dennis Gansel was born in Hannover in 1973. As a schoolboy he made his own short films. From 1994 to 2000 he studied directing at the Munich University for Television and Film. During his studies he also got to know his future producer Christian Becker, with whom he worked on the films DIE WELLE (THE WAVE) and JIM KNOPF (JIM BUTTON AND LUKE THE ENGINE DRIVER selected in Giffoni 2019), among others. After several German films, he made his Hollywood debut in 2015 with MECHANIC: RESURRECTION. With the Jim Knopf (Jim Button) film adaptations, he fulfilled a long-cherished childhood dream. Dennis Gansel lives with his family in Hamburg and Berlin.

Director's statement
“As a big fan of the novel Jim Knopf, it was clear to me that the story, which was published by Michael Ende in two books, would only be told to the end when the second volume, Jim Knopf und die wilde 13, had also been made into a film. Without him the story of Jim Knopf would not have come to a dignified end. I am very happy and grateful that I was able to experience this journey with my wonderful actors and the greatest team. I hope Michael Ende would have liked it.”

Production
Rat Pack Filmproduktion (Germany)
www.constantin-film.de 

Festival contact
Renate Zylla (Germany)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

International distribution
Global Screen (Germany)
www.globalscreen.de