logo 2004

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2004 - 17.24 July

Sections & Films

THE RETURN

Category: Edition 2004

Synopsis

In contemporary Russia young brothers Vanja and Andrej have grown a deep attachment to each other to make up for their fatherless childhood. The boys lives are upset by their father’s return after a twelve year absence. With their mother's uneasy blessing Vanja and Andrej set out on what they believe will be a fishing vacation with their taciturn father. Though at first ecstatic to be reunited with the father they only knew from a faded photograph, the boys strain under the weight of their dad's awkward and increasingly brutal efforts to make up for a missing decade of parental supervision.

Original Title VOZVRAŠCENIE
Italian Title IL RITORNO
Category Out of competition
Section Reload
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 105'
Production Year 2003
Nationality Russia
Directed by Andrej Zvjagintsev
Screenplay Vladimir Moiseenko, Aleksandr Novototskij
Script Vladimir Moiseenko, Aleksandr Novototskij
Director of photography Mikhail Krichman
Editor Vladimir Mogilevskij
Production Design Janna Pakhomova
Costume Design Anna Barthuly
Sound Andrej Khudjakov
Music Andrej Dergachev
Main cast Vladimir Garin (Andrej)
Ivan Dabronravov (Ivan)
Konstantin Lavronenko (il padre/father)
Natalija Vdovina (la madre/mother)
Galina Popova (Babushka)
Aleksei Suknovalov (Zavodila)
Produced by Dmitrij Lesnevskij
Access

the return regAndrej Zvjagintsev

Born in 1964 in Novosibirsk (Russia). he has lived in Moscow since 1986. He graduated as an actor at the State Theatre School in Moscow. He worked as an actor in various independent projects. In 2000 he made his debut as a director with the TV series BLACK ROOM. THE RETURN is his first feature film.

Director’s statement

“When I was shooting the film I did not see the story as an every-day tale or a social one. To a great extent, the film is a mythological look on human life. This is probably what I would like the audience to keep in mind before they enter the screening room”.

Production
Ren Film

Italian distribution

Festival contact
Lucky Red
Via Antonio Chinotto 16, 00195 Roma - Italy
phone +39 06 37352296
fax +39 06 37350415
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.luckyred.it