logo 2004

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2004 - 17.24 July

Sections & Films

WINNING PASS

Category: Edition 2004

Synopsis

Kenta, a 17 year old student, lives with his father, his mother and his younger sister. He belongs to the basketball club and is a good player, but after an argument with the coach he leaves the club. One night, after a quarrel with his father, Kenta jumps on his motor-bike and dashes out in the rain. He smashes his anger to the speed and when a truck comes up towards him, Kenta can’t avoid it. Though surviving from the accident, he is paralysed in the lower part of the body. It is too difficult for him to accept that he has to live on a wheelchair. He refuses to see his friends and his girlfriend Kaori and thinks of suicide. One day Kenta, fortunately, watching a wheelchair basketball match in the gym meets one of the players, Makoto. He is a unique young man who, together with Ichiro, the eccentric man who shares Kenta’s hospital room, will help the boy to find a way to accept his new life.

Original Title UININGU PASU
Category Official Competition
Section Y Gen
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 108'
Production Year 2003
Nationality Japan
Directed by Shinichi Nakada
Screenplay Junichi Yagi, Teppei Harada
Script Katsushi Miwa
Director of photography Naosuke Imaizumi
Editor Hiroshi Kirihata
Production Design Masatoshi Ikeda
Sound Akira Fukada
Music Akira Senju
Main cast Kenichi Matsuyama (Kenta Kobayashi)
Maki Horikita (Mai Kobayashi)
Kazue Tsumogae (Tomoko Kobayashi)
Shigeru Yazaki (Tadashi Kobayashi)
Megumi Sato (Kaori Ota)
Masaki Miura (Makoto Sato)
Produced by Fumio Sasaki, Shinichi Nakada
Access

winning pass regShinichi Nakada

Born 1944, Komatsu (Japan). He devoted himself to his studies under the supervision of such great major directors such as Satsuo Yamamoto, Kinji Fukasaku and so on. In 1984 he made his debut as a director with the movie THE SNOW THAT FALLS UPON THE SEA, based on a youthful drama of pure literature of the same title. His next film THE ADVENTURE OF PIPI (1995), was based on a million seller children’s story about the bullying problems. He directed the film CHEN BAO (1999) co-produced by Japan and China, about the war between Japan and China.

Director’s statement

“When I saw the wheelchair basketball game for the fist time, I remember I was very surprised by the powerfulness and the speed of it. Although the players have disabilities, they run around the coat and shoot very quickly. Why are their faces so shining? I asked some players about their life. When did you get disabilities from the accident? How do you feel about disabilities? Why did you join the wheelchair basketball team? Why are your faces shining so much? On the process of making this screenplay with my staff, I wanted to describe a drama of human coming back to their lives”.

Production
World sales
Festival contact
Image Satellite Ltd.
5F, 5-41-18 Chuo, Nakano-ku, Tokyo 164-0011 - Japan
phone +81 353855303
fax +81 353852299
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.di.pdx.ne.jp