film giffoni 2023

WE WILL NEVER BELONG

Category: Generator +18

Emi, a solitary teenager, is dealing with newfound doubts and resentments due to her mother’s relationship with a woman. Determined to change her circumstances, Emi returns to her hometown, where she lives with her father’s new family and seeks comfort in her grandmother. The arrival of her father’s step-daughter, the seducing Gala, immediately seduces Emi and brings about some questioning about her own sexual orientation. This fleeting relationship prepares Emi to heal her relationship with her mother and gives her the strength to move on.

Original Title Nunca Seremos Parte
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 93'
Production Year 2022
Nationality Mexico
Directed by Amelia Eloisa
Screenplay Amelia Eloisa
Director of photography Diego Caballero
Editor Carlos Espinoza, Diego Caballero
Production Design Enoé Bejar
Costume Design Claudia Salgado
Sound Paul Coroner
Make up Fernanda Pavó
Music PHI
Main cast Adriana Palafox
Magnolia Corona
Andrea Portal
Karina Hurtado
Xésar Tena
Cynthia Bordes
Verónica Langer
Produced by Yezin Carrillo, Fernando Guzmán, Ana Karen Guzmán, Amelia Eloisa
Production Bengare Films

Directora Amelia Eloisa ActualizadaAmelia Eloisa

Amelia Eloisa (Guadalajara, 1987) is a queer director, writer and screenwriter. Her work has been featured at Warsaw International Film Festival, InsideOut Toronto and Ottawa, Outfest LA, Guadalajara International Film Festival (FICG), Chéries-Chéris, Tel Aviv International LGBT Film Festival, and Mix Brasil, among others. Her short film, JULIA'S PIECE (2017), won Best Fiction Short Film at Out on Film and is distributed by Revry. Her fiction debut film, WE WILL NEVER BELONG (2022), was awarded the Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature Film at its world premiere in InsideOut Toronto. Other prizes include the KINÉ award at the Work in Progress Section in FEMCINE 2021, Santiago de Chile, and a post-production grant from the Filming Commission of the State of Jalisco 2020. She is currently developing two feature films: THE KING'S DAUGHTER (TorinoFilmLab 2022) and CELESTINO. Furthermore, she is post-producing her new period drama short film, MILK ASHES, which was granted the 2022 Production Fund from the State of Jalisco's Culture Secretary. She published the anthology of poems Volar sin Alas (2003) and the novels Aretes de Espadas (2015) and Cuando Ana despierte (2009).

"In the darkness of the unconscious where my fears prevented me from seeing the root of the pain, I hid for years of my life; filled with anger and hatred. I was ashamed to accept myself and identify as a lesbian woman. I was not able to face the reality of who I am and to admit love is love no matter the circumstances. This film has been a beautiful road towards forgiveness and self-acceptance. Sharing my story empowers me and gives me hope. WE WILL NEVER BELONG is a very personal film that has transformed me. It’s an independent film made with passion and full of soul. I hope I can share my story and continue to spread tolerance and empathy."