film giffoni 2023

SCRAPPER

Category: Elements +10

Georgie is a 12-year-old from the outskirts of London, who’s been raised by her mum. Funny, gobby and resourceful, Georgie decides to live on her own after her mum dies – and she's doing a good job of convincing the world and herself that she's coping. Nicking bikes with her mate Ali pays the rent, and Georgie has tricked social workers into believing that her uncle is living with her. What’s more, her house is probably the cleanest on the estate, everything scrubbed and pristine just as mum left it. Then comes a knock at the door. “Are you Georgie?” “Who’s asking?”. The boyish 30-year-old with bleached hair is Jason, Georgie’s dad. It’s been that long she doesn’t recognise him. Georgie and Ali try to get rid of this uninvited guest, but Jason stubbornly hangs around. What does he want? Somewhere to crash? To help? Or maybe he’s here to kill them in their beds, wonders Ali. Whatever the motivation, Georgie rejects Jason’s clumsy attempts to look after.

Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 83’
Production Year 2023
Nationality United Kingdom
Directed by Charlotte Regan
Screenplay Charlotte Regan
Director of photography Molly Manning Walker
Editor Billy Sneddon, Matteo Bini
Production Design Elena Muntoni
Costume Design Oliver Cronk
Sound Ben Baird
Make up Nora Robertson
Music Patrick Jonsson
Casting Shaheen Baig
Main cast Lola Campbell
Alin Uzun
Harris Dickinson
Cary Crankson
Carys Bowkett
Ambreen Razia
Ayokunle Oyesanwo
Produced by Theo Barrowclough
Production DMC Film Production

Scrapper directorCharlotte Regan

Charlotte is a filmmaker from London who grew up making low budget music promos for local rappers and has created over 200 to date. Her first short film, STANDBY premiered at TIFF and went on to be nominated for a BAFTA and win a Sundance Award. Her second short FRY-UP screened at BFI LFF, Sundance and Berlinale, and her third short DODGY DAVE played at TIFF and BFI LFF. Charlotte is currently in post on her first feature SCRAPPER, developed with BBC Film/BFI and with DMC Film producing. She is a Sundance Ignite Fellow, a BFI Future Film and New Talent award winner and was named as a 2020 Screen International Star of Tomorrow. 

“I've seen films about working class lives where the characters get one minute of happiness in the whole film, where no-one is funny, everyone’s miserable. But that wasn’t my experience. [...] Hanging out with your mates on the same street every day is magic. Everyone looked out for each other. I wanted that working class community feeling, grannies sitting on balconies drinking cups of tea and watching the kids. [...] For me, the casting had to be authentic. It would have felt strange not to reach out to those communities to find our Georgie. It would be like saying: ‘We’re going to nick all your culture and find someone else to play it. Besides, I like working with kids who haven't filmed before. They find everything magic and that rubs off on everyone else. [...] In March 2021, a self-tape arrived from 10-year-old Lola Campbell. I knew instantly that there was something special about Lola. We’d asked everyone to talk about their interests on the tapes. In her tape, Lola was chatting about how she and her mum were addicted to Home Bargains. From the moment I saw her, I felt that she was the one.”

production/produzione

DMC Film Production
(UK)

international distribution/distribuzione internazionale

Charades
(France/Francia)
https://lineup.charades.eu/

italian distribution/distribuzione italiana
festival contact

Lucky Red
(Italy/Italia)
www.luckyred.it