film giffoni 2023

TITINA

Category: Elements +6

Italian airship engineer Umberto Nobile enjoys a quiet life with his beloved dog Titina, who charmed him into rescuing her from the streets of Rome. One day, Norwegian explorer superstar Roald Amundsen contacts him and orders an airship to conquer the North Pole. Nobile seizes the opportunity to go down in history. He brings Titina along, and the unlikely trio sets out on an expedition to the last undiscovered place on Earth. Their quest is successful but, in the aftermath, the two men start to quarrel over the glory… Through the eyes of the four-legged celebrity Titina, (re)discover a true story of triumph and defeat.

Original Title TITINA
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Animation, Feature Film
Duration 91'
Production Year 2022
Nationality Belgium, Norway
Directed by Kajsa Næss
Screenplay Kajsa Næss, Per Schreiner
Director of photography Cecilie Semec
Editor Anders Bergland, Jens Christian Fodstad, Zaklina Stojcevska
Production Design Emma McCann
Sound Gisle Tveito
Music Kåre Vestrheim
Original Voices Jan Gunnar Røise
Kåre Conradi
Anne Marit Jacobsen
John F. Brungot
Ingar Helge Gimle
Thorbjørn Harr
Christian Skolmen
Silje Torp
Nader Khademi
Roy Fenstad
Håkon Ramstad
Ninni Spone
Marit Andreassen
Siri Forberg
Sigrid Sollund
Produced by Lise Fearnley, Tonje Skar Reiersen, Viviane Vanfleteren
Production Mikrofilm

Kajsa 2 Tone Tønseth Mikrofilm 2Kajsa Næss

After 25 years as an innovative short animation director, Kajsa Næss is ready for her feature film debut with TITINA. Næss is known for her playful, humorous and humanistic films. Her award-winning shorts have featured in prestigious festivals such as Clermont-Ferrand, Annecy and Tribeca. In addition to her many film awards, Næss has been granted the Norwegian Ministry of Culture’s Human Rights Award. Her dozen credits include IT WAS MINE (2015), IT’S UP TO YOU (2013), DECONSTRUCTION WORKERS (2008), LEONID SHOWER (2004) and MOTHER SAID (1999). Kajsa founded the Oscar winning studio Mikrofilm together with producer Lise Fearnley in 1996.

I came across this particular story by chance. I was surprised that I hadn’t already heard of it, because this was a huge media event in the 1920s, and the airship makes it such a spectacle. But it faded into history over time, and most Norwegians today don’t know how Amundsen died or that he disappeared searching for Umberto Nobile. So even though Amundsen himself is an icon, this part of his life is less known. The presence of Titina is another thing that drew me to this story. As Norwegians, we all know that if you bring dogs to the polar region, they have to work, or you should be able to eat them. The Arctic is no place for little lapdogs. Why would you bring a pet to such a place? It’s very strange to me. This made this story so interesting. And how did it actually work to have a tiny dog travelling in an airship? I was also charmed by the airship itself. It’s so large, and so fragile, and so strange.”

production/produzione
Mikrofilm
(Norway/Norvegia)
www.mikrofilm.no

international distribution/distribuzione internazionale
Les Films du Losange
(France/Francia)
www.filmsdulosange.com

italian distribution/distribuzione italiana
festival contact
Bim Distribuzione
(Italy/Italia)