logo 2017

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2017 - 14.22 JULY

Sections & Films

BORN IN SYRIA

Category: Edition 2017

Synopsis
Since the beginning of the civil war in Syria, around four million Syrians have had to abandon their country, fleeing violence. Over half of them are children. Born in Syria narrates the journey of these refugees from the point of view of the children who live this constant torment. They suffer the abuse of the mafias, the harshness of the sea, the uncertainty of the future with barely the shirt on their back, only to arrive at their long awaited destination and start a new odyssey: an integration into a new land that, for many, is hostile. This is the greatest exodus of refugees since the Second World War, seen through seven stories of war, suffering, and desperation.But ultimately these stories are also tales of overcoming, innocence, bravery, and hope that help us understand what it means to have been born in Syria.

Original Title Nacido en Siria
Category Official Competition
Section GEx Doc
Tipology Documentary
Duration 86'
Production Year 2016
Nationality Denmark, Spain
Directed by Hernán Zin
Screenplay Hernán Zin, José F. Ortuño
Editor José M.G. Moyano, Fátima de los Santos, Darío García
Music Gabriel Yared, Jean Pierre Ensuque
Main cast Marwan
Hamude
Arasuli
Gaseem
Jihan
Kais
Mohammed
Produced by Olmo Figueredo González-Quevedo
Trailer 7M8owWOz018

--- regista --- hernán zinHernan Zin
Hernán Zin (Buenos Aires, 1971) has a degree in International Relations and has spent the last 20 years travelling the world creating documentaries and writing articles and books. He has directed the documentaries VILLAS MISERIA (2009), I WANT TO BE MESSI (2013), THE WAR AGAINST WOMEN (2013). BORN IN GAZA (2014), MATADORAS (2015), 10 AÑOS CON BEBE (2016).

Director's statement
“Twenty years ago, I decided to hone the focus of my work as a reporter and documentary filmmaker into regions of armed conflict. I felt it necessary to humanize the numbers we see every day in the news headlines. Give them names. Remove the tyranny of the here and now to delve into and give a voice to their stories and context. Since then, I have worked in over 50 countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia, and Europe. My camera is always on my shoulder. From Afghanistan to Somalia, Uganda, Sudan, Lebanon, Gaza, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Syria. If I have learned anything in this time, it is that the elderly and the children always suffer the most from war. They are the most defenseless victims. These children serve a double sentence as the physical and psychological traumas will follow them for the rest of their lives. The conflict in Syria, like all civil wars and like almost all armed confrontation of the twenty-first century, takes place in urban areas with a high impact on the civilian population. The sides are blurry. The armies, in large part, are soldiers by necessity. In this scenario, the impact on Syrian childhood is horrible. 40% of the victims of the conflict are under the age of 18. The other harsh reality for Syrian children is the extended duration of the conflict. It has already been a five-year struggle for the most affected areas—five years without access to healthcare, education, and basic services like electricity and running water. Clearly, it is important to tell the story of the war in Syria from the perspective of childhood. Even more so when hundreds of thousands of children, in many cases alone, in some with their families, have embarked upon the most significant exodus to Europe since the Second World War”.

production
La Claqueta
(Spain)
www.laclaqueta.com---
Contramedia Films
(Spain)
www.contramediafilms.com
---
Final Cut For Real
(Denmark)
www.final-cut.dk

world sales
festival contact
Java Films
(France)
www.javafilms.tv

All films in competition are in the original language with Italian subtitles except for +3 and +6 sections that has a live over-sound). Entrance to Elements and Generator screenings is free (subject to available seats) priority will be given to jurors, press and accredited audience.
Masterclass
meeting at the Sala De Sica and Antica Ramiera are for Masterclass jurors and press only.
Entrance to Parental Control
and Gex Doc sections is free up to capacity, Elements +6 and +10, press and accreditation have priority.
Entrance to Wizard Nights
and Fright Nights films is free up to capacity.