logo 2017

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2017 - 14.22 JULY

Sections & Films

THE INLAND ROAD

Category: Edition 2017

Synopsis
After falling out with her Mum, sixteen-year old Tia hitchhikes down the country to find her father. But her plans are thwarted when she gets caught up in a nasty car accident. With minor injuries, Tia calls for help to rescue the driver, Will, whose brother in law Matt is killed in the accident. At the hospital Tia’s father refuses to take her in, instead telling her to go home. But Tia has other plans. She goes to Matt’s funeral where she meets Will’s pregnant wife Donna, Matt’s wife and her young daughter. When Tia shows no inclination to leave, Will invites her to stay at his farm, feeling responsible for the girl’s injuries. Family relationships are tested by Tia and by the necessity to cope with Matt’s death.

Original Title The Inland Road
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 80'
Production Year 2017
Nationality New Zealand
Directed by Jackie van Beek
Screenplay Jackie van Beek
Director of photography Giovanni C. Lorusso
Editor Luca Cappelli, Tom Eagles
Production Design Leah Popple
Costume Design Kristin Seth
Music James Kenyon, Nick Huggins
Main cast Donna - Chelsie Preston Crayford
Will- David Elliot
May- Jodie Hillock
Lily- Georgia Spillane
Tia - Gloria Popata
Produced by Aaron Watson
Trailer kEGLkZMDAmA

--- regista --- jackie van beekJackie van Beek
Jackie is a New Zealand actor, writer and director. She has made seven short films that have played in festivals including London, Palm Springs and MIFF and many are being used as educational resources around the world. Jackie's short film, GO THE DOGS, played at the Berlinale in 2011. Jackie won SPADA New Filmmaker of the Year in 2013 (NZ) and was awarded first prize in the 2015 WIFT International Showcase for her short film UPHILL. As an actor she is best known for her role in the vampire comedy, WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS. THE INLAND ROAD is her debut feature.

Director's statement
“My story takes place in that topsy-turvy time after a tragedy when people, desperate to connect, are reaching out blindly or withdrawing completely. I began with the idea of bringing a group of very different people together after a fatal accident. I wanted to explore the relationship between mothers and daughters. What happens to a mother when she’s incapable of mothering? What happens to a daughter when she’s scared of losing her mother’s love? I wanted to tell a story about feeling directionless and not knowing how to take the next step. But what I most hope to express through this film is the great capacity we have as human beings for love, kindness and forgiveness. It was important to me to assemble the cast in a way that mirrored the story –to combine strangers, foreign to each other and each other’s cultures. Our lead actress, Gloria, is Maori, was a non-actor and had been home-schooled in a tiny settlement in the North Island called Mapou. We cast our six year old in the South Island, close to our main location. We found our male lead in London and our major supporting roles came from my hometown, Auckland. Rehearsals were a great opportunity for my cinematographer and I to observe these strangers getting to know each other. I lead a lot of improvisations in the two weeks leading up to production and consequently rewrote a lot of the dialogue. I encouraged the actors to take this feeling of freedom into production”.

production
Sabertooth Films Ltd
(New Zealand)

world sales
festival contact
LevelK
(Denmark)
www.levelk.dk

All films in competition are in the original language with Italian subtitles except for +3 and +6 sections that has a live over-sound). Entrance to Elements and Generator screenings is free (subject to available seats) priority will be given to jurors, press and accredited audience.
Masterclass
meeting at the Sala De Sica and Antica Ramiera are for Masterclass jurors and press only.
Entrance to Parental Control
and Gex Doc sections is free up to capacity, Elements +6 and +10, press and accreditation have priority.
Entrance to Wizard Nights
and Fright Nights films is free up to capacity.