logo 2017

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2017 - 14.22 JULY

Sections & Films

THE BACHELORS

Category: Edition 2017

Synopsis
After his wife passes away, Bill Ponder and his 17-year-old son Wes move out of their small town into the big city in an attempt to have a fresh start. As they each begin to adjust to their new life and seek ways to heal their wounds, they both find comfort in newfound romance. Wes meets Lacy, an introverted but fierce girl whose enigmatic personality captivates Wes' attention, and Bill meets Carine, a compassionate and elegant teacher whose own past heartaches resonate with his. As relationships are tested, Bill and Wes grow apart and back together again while discovering their true selves in the process.

Original Title The Bachelors
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 108'
Production Year 2017
Nationality USA
Directed by Kurt Voelker
Screenplay Kurt Voelker
Director of photography Antonio Riestra
Editor Anita Brandt Burgoyne
Production Design Richard Sherman
Music Joel P. West
Main cast J. K. Simmons
Julie Delpy
Odeya Rush
Josh Wiggins
Produced by Matt Baer, George Parra

--- regista --- kurt voelkerKurt Voelker
Kurt Voelker was born and raised in Texas, graduated from Harvard College and went to graduate film school at USC, where he wrote and directed the short DECADE OF LOVE. He has since written feature screenplays for Warner Bros, Disney, Fox, Sony, Paramount, MTV, Jerry Bruckheimer, Jerry Zucker and others. His work includes the Warner Bros release SWEET NOVEMBER, starring Charlize Theron and Keanu Reeves, and Lionsgate/Huayi Brothers' animated feature ROCK DOG. He also co-created SWEDEN, OHIO, a comedy pilot for Fox and recently worked on the writing staff of the NBC primetime drama GAME OF SILENCE. Kurt also wrote and directed the award-winning independent feature PARK and just recently finished writing and directing THE BACHELORS, an independent feature starring J.K. Simmons, Julie Delpy, Odeya Rush and Josh Wiggins. He is currently writing the feature screenplay DRONE for Riverstone Pictures.

Director's statement
“At its heart, the film is about the remarkable ability of love to help and heal those we care most about. What initially inspired me to write THE BACHELORS was a strong desire to explore the incredible power of father-son relationships, coupled with an equally strong desire to tap into the rich milieu of my adolescence. Like Wes, I grew up primarily with my father, and like Wes, I attended a private, all-boys school filled with colorful characters among both the students and the faculty. What I discovered as I developed the story was that THE BACHELORS would also allow me to explore several other deep and substantial themes that have always fascinated me, such as the extraordinary importance of women in the lives of men, the seismic impact of grief and the ultimate transcendence of love”.

production
Matt Baer Films
Windowseat Entertainment
(USA)

world sales
festival contact
Fortitude International
(USA)
www.fortitudeint.com

All films in competition are in the original language with Italian subtitles except for +3 and +6 sections that has a live over-sound). Entrance to Elements and Generator screenings is free (subject to available seats) priority will be given to jurors, press and accredited audience.
Masterclass
meeting at the Sala De Sica and Antica Ramiera are for Masterclass jurors and press only.
Entrance to Parental Control
and Gex Doc sections is free up to capacity, Elements +6 and +10, press and accreditation have priority.
Entrance to Wizard Nights
and Fright Nights films is free up to capacity.