logo 2017

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2017 - 14.22 JULY

Sections & Films

CLOUDBOY

Category: Edition 2017

Synopsis
Twelve-year-old city boy Niilas has been living with his father for as long as he can remember and barely knows his Swedish mother. This summer, Niilas has to travel to Lapland much against his will where his mother and her new family live amongst the Sami, an indigenous reindeer-herding people. Despite a warm welcome, Niilas retreats inwards. The only one who can get through to him is his half-sister Sunnà. The reindeer migration is fully underway and Niilas has to lend a helping hand. When a reindeer goes missing, Niilas joins in the search, and an impressive moose keeps crossing his path at the most unexpected moments. Gradually he discovers his roots, which prove to be stronger than he ever could have imagined. Against all odds, Niilas experiences the most adventurous summer of his life.

Original Title Cloudboy
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 78'
Production Year 2017
Nationality Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden
Directed by Meikeminne Clinckspoor
Screenplay Meikeminne Clinckspoor
Editor Håkan Karlsson
Production Design Lars Tiller
Costume Design Charlotte Willems
Music Helge Slikker
Main cast Daan Roofthooft (Niilas)
Ayla Gáren Audhild Nutti (Sunnà)
Sara Sommerfeld (Katarina)
Mikkel Gaup (Reaidnu)
Geert Van Rampelberg (Gerard)
Produced by Katleen Goossens
Trailer 8zzsonkn7_A

--- regista --- meikeminne clinckspoorMeikeminne Clincksoor
Meikeminne CLINCKSOOR decided really young that she wanted to make children's movies. After a theatre education in Amsterdam, she started a film education (2004) at the Film School KASK in Belgium, where she graduated in 2009 with her short film for children THE WISHING TREE which has been supported by Jekino Distribution, known as a Belgian distributor for quality children’s films. She wrote and directed a few shorts for children and won numerous awards with them. The last one was KI which premiered at Cinekid 2015.

Director's statement
“I have always loved Scandinavian children films. To me, they were able to paint the small life in a very natural way, in a minimal image language, but with a beautiful sensibility for the child’s world. Today, I still feel a lot of respect and love for the child’s world. The world in which it perceives the outside world, in which it watches and learns from every small detail that can make life just a little more intense. As a filmmaker, I feel driven to search for an image-language that connects the child’s vision.
As a child I loved to go in the woods and play. In the woods I felt alive. I felt understanding and joy, even if I couldn’t put those feelings into words. I remember I was often aware of a kind of magic, and to me it doesn’t matter if it was real or in my imagination. To me it felt real, and that was enough. It helped me to believe in magic, to believe that anything is possible if I only dare to think of it. My own imagination is my own limit. That thought captured me, and strangely enough, it became a theme in my work as a filmmaker today: If we are open and willing to see the possibilities, and to listen to the music of life, anything is possible. You could call it magic”.

production
Bulletproof Cupid Film Production
(Belgio)
www.bulletproofcupid.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

world sales
festival contact
LevelK
(Denmark)
www.levelk.dk
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All films in competition are in the original language with Italian subtitles except for +3 and +6 sections that has a live over-sound). Entrance to Elements and Generator screenings is free (subject to available seats) priority will be given to jurors, press and accredited audience.
Masterclass
meeting at the Sala De Sica and Antica Ramiera are for Masterclass jurors and press only.
Entrance to Parental Control
and Gex Doc sections is free up to capacity, Elements +6 and +10, press and accreditation have priority.
Entrance to Wizard Nights
and Fright Nights films is free up to capacity.