logo 2016

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2016 - 15.24 July

Sections & Films

CHICKEN

Category: Edition 2016

Synopsis
Richard, an optimistic 15-year-old boy with learning difficulties, lives in a caravan with his restless and abusive older brother, Polly. When the land they live on is bought by a new landowner, and the electricity supply to their caravan is cut, their already precarious living conditions get even worse. But at the same time love arrives in Richard's life when he falls for 17-year-old Annabel, the new landowner's daughter. This friendship stretches the relationship between the brothers to breaking point: family secrets are revealed and life for Richard starts to finally change direction.

Original Title Chicken
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 86'
Production Year 2015
Nationality United Kingdom
Directed by Joe Stephenson
Screenplay Chris New
Director of photography Eben Bolter
Editor Joe Stephenson, Charlie Lyne
Production Design Chris Barber
Costume Design Miranda King
Sound Wayne Reay
Music Tom Linden
Main cast Scott Chambers (Richard)
Morgan Watkins (Polly)
Yasmin Paige (Annabel)
Kirsty Besterman (Mrs. Rickson)
Stuart Keil (Mr. Rickson)
Produced by Joe Stephenson, Tina Galovic

JS ColourJoe Stephenson
Joe Stephenson gained his diploma from the New York Film Academy at just 17 years old. After working for companies such as Ealing Studios and Icon, Joe directed his first short film, THE ALCHEMISTIC SUITCASE. Joe then established B Good Picture Company, directing and producing a TV series for Sky Arts, called IN LOVE WITH, starring over 20 of the best British acting talent. Joe also directed an animation special starring Stephen Fry (also broadcast on SKY) and most recently the music video for Natalie Imbruglia’s single ‘INSTANT CRUSH’. CHICKEN is Joe’s debut feature film as both director and producer. Joe is currently in pre-production for his second feature film, a biopic on Noël Coward, starring Chris Colfer, Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave, Stephen Fry, Celia Imrie, Jonathan Pryce and more.

Director's statement
“When I saw the play of “Chicken”, which was only on for one week, I immediately felt I’d found a story I could tell cinematically and faithfully on a limited budget. I felt I could bring my own sensibilities, expand the world of the play, and actually bring something to the table that would enhance the themes, characters and emotions created so well on stage. Me and Scott were great friends first, together we’d develop certain elements and I accidentally found myself becoming very involved with the creation of Richard from the outset. So when I saw the play, and decided it was something I could see cinematically, it was never going to be anyone else playing Richard. The film is told largely from his perspective, it is led by his moods, his attitudes, and it became important to us to not make a film about his learning difficulties just because he has them. They are a part of who he is, not all of who he is”.

produzione
festival contact
B Good Pictures Company
(United Kingdom)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.