logo 2016

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2016 - 15.24 July

Sections & Films

CODE M

Category: Edition 2016

Synopsis
In the new, thrilling and adventurous family film CODE M, the strong-willed Isabel (11) takes over her ill grandfather’s search for the legendary sword of the world famous musketeer D’Artagnan, against her family’s wishes. The sword has been missing for centuries and Isabel’s only clue to its location is a secret code. Together with her cousin Rik (13) and friend Jules (12), she embarks on an exciting quest that takes them through caves and ancient castles. But they soon discover they are not the only ones looking for the sword. Who can Isabel trust and who has a hidden agenda?

Original Title Code M
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 98'
Production Year 2015
Nationality Netherlands
Directed by Dennis Bots
Screenplay Tijs van Marle, Karen van Holst Pellekaan
Director of photography Kasper De Bont
Editor Elsbeth Kasteel, Niels Koopman
Production Design Florian Legters
Costume Design Fleur Enderberg
Sound Herman Pieete
Make up Jacqueline Hoogendijk
Judith Looye
Music Fons Merkies
Main cast Nina Wiss (Isabel)
Senna Borsato (Rik)
Joes Brauers (Jules)
Derek de Lint (Ber)
Hanna van Lunteren (Louise)
Lotje van Lunteren (Jacqueline)
Produced by Harro van Staverden, David Jan Bijker, Elbe Stevens

Picture Director Dennis BotsDennis Bots
Dennis Bots (1974) was born in Zambia and moved to Gemert, the Netherlands in his youth. For years he has worked as a director on multiple television series and short films. With his two short films REFLECTMENT and EMERGENCY EXIT he has won several prizes abroad. His main passion is making films and television series for children. As such, he has directed multiple youth series in the Netherlands and Belgium. He also co-directed the first feature film ZOOP IN AFRIKA (2005) which became a box office hit and he directed the film ANUBIS EN HET PAD DER 7 ZONDEN in 2008 and in 2009 the film ANUBIS EN DE WRAAK VAN ARGHUS. In 2012 he directed the film COOL KIDS DON’T CRY, selected also for Giffoni. Dennis also directed SECRETS OF WAR, based on the eponymous book by Jacques Vriens. For CODE M he again has teamed up with Karen van Holst Pellekaan who co-wrote the film with Tijs van Marle.

Director's statement
“I am very strongly attracted to the genre of adventure films. With the ‘Anubis’ films I garnered sufficient experience in this genre. Through the feature films COOL KIDS DON’T CRY and SECRETS OF WAR I have gained experience in bringing drama to the screen. In the film CODE M I can combine both these experiences. Because this is a captivating, thrilling adventure film that tells a moving story about the struggle people go through. The main character Isabel intrigues me and I feel I can relate to her. She is an independent girl who is unique and has a mind of her own. She is convinced of her mission and won ́t stop at any cost. I recognize myself in those qualities. I have always set out my own course and never stopped believing in that. I have not been able to develop the project from the beginning. Fortunately, the screenwriters were very willing to work together in a later stage and to fine tune the story, to build and bring nuance to the different characters, but also to look for new and surprising visual transitions between present and past. I immediately saw a lot of potential in the screenplay and want to show that there is a successful film in this story which will stand out in both the Netherlands and abroad. Where D’Artagnan is usually a well-known hero from books and American blockbusters, we will hopefully reveal that the famous musketeer truly existed and pass on the immaterial value of his motto to both young and old.All for one, one for all!”

production
Bijker Film & TV
(Netherlands)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.bijker.tv
-----
Elbe Stevens Films
(Netherlands)
www.elbestevens.nl

world sales
festival contact

Sola Media GmbH
(Germany)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sola-media.com