logo 2016

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2016 - 15.24 July

Sections & Films

DREAMING OF DENMARK

Category: Edition 2016

Synopsis
Wasiullah came to Denmark when he was 15 - arriving alone from Afghanistan. Although he has nightmares of his uncle trying to kill him he has found safety and friends in Denmark. He is in some ways like any other teenager; he cracks jokes, sings rap songs and flirts with girls. But his application for asylum is rejected and when he turns 18 he disappears from the asylum center as he is about to be sent back to Afghanistan. Living illegally in Copenhagen he decides to leave for Italy hoping to obtain a residence permit that will allow him to return to Denmark which he considers his home.

Original Title Drømmen om Danmark
Category Official Competition
Section GEx Doc
Tipology Documentary, Feature Film
Duration 58'
Production Year 2015
Nationality Denmark
Directed by Michael Graversen
Director of photography Michael Gravesen
Editor Rebecca Jørgensen, Sofie Steenberger
Sound Raoul Brand
Music Uno Helmersson, Katharina Nuttall
Produced by Lise Saxtrup

Dreaming of Denmark. Portrait of director Michael GraversenMichael Graversen
Michael is a graduate from the National Film and Television School in the UK. At the NFTS he found his voice within intimate and poetic filmmaking that deals with existential themes in complex emotional situations and environments. His portrait of a children's asylum centre in Denmark, NO MAN'S LAND, was selected for IDFA and many international festivals winning prizes at Tehran, Hamburg and Beograd. Michael holds a BA in Film, Media and Psychology from Copenhagen University and before joining the NFTS, he worked as a culture journalist at the national broadcaster in Denmark (DR). 

Director's statement
“Ever since I made NO MAN'S LAND, I have had the ambition to make a character driven story about one of the unaccompanied refugee boys life, I have always felt that a much larger story was present. About what it means to be young in an environment where you are constantly on the run and have your guard up. Where relationships are short-term, the future is uncertain and the only thing that drives you forward is –to outsiders –a utopian dream? While I worked on NO MAN'S LAND, it constantly rummaged through my head: 'What actually happens with those who do not get to stay? […] The story of Wasi is the story of a child who is forced to live a nomadic existence in a parallel society. Therefore it is also a story about us”.

production
Klassefilm APS
(Denmark)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.klassefilm.dk

festival contact
Danish Film Institute
(Denmark)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.dfi.dk