logo 2016

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2016 - 15.24 July

Sections & Films

URBAN HYMN

Category: Edition 2016

Synopsis
Set against the backdrop of the 2011 British summer riots, URBAN HYMN is a redemptive coming of age story set in South-West London and follows wayward teen, Jamie. Encouraged by inspiring and unconventional social worker Kate, to use singing as a release, Jamie’s loyalties soon become torn between Kate and her possessive and volatile best friend, Leanne.

Original Title Urban Hymn
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 114'
Production Year 2016
Nationality United Kingdom
Directed by Michael Caton-Jones
Screenplay Nick Moorcroft
Director of photography Denis Crossan
Editor Istvan Kiraly
Costume Design Rob Nicholls
Make up Zoe Kettel
Music Tom Linden
Main cast Shirley Henderson (Kate)
Letitia Wright (Jamie)
Isabella Laughland (Leanne)
Ian Hart (Ian Wilson)
Steven Mckintosh (David Linton)
Shaun Parkes (Charlie)
Produced by John Sachs, Andrew Berg, Neil Chordia, Daniel Toland

TV1 7062Michael Caton-Jones
Scottish-born film director Michael Caton-Jones trained at the prestigious National Film and Television School. During his film career, he has directed some of Hollywood’s most acclaimed talents. He is also credited with discovering the young Leonardo DiCaprio when he cast him in THIS BOY’S LIFE in 1993. Caton-Jones first made his mark as a director with the critically acclaimed, SCANDAL about the infamous political scandal dubbed The Profumo Affair, which brought down the British government in the 1960s.THIS BOY’S LIFE marked a further collaboration with Warner Bros. and Caton-Jones first with Robert De Niro. Based on the memoirs of writer Tobias Wolf, Caton-Jones cast the young Leonardo DiCaprio as a rebellious 1950s teenager in a drama about the relationship between a boy and his abusive father, played by De Niro. Caton-Jones returned to his Scottish roots for the epic historical action adventure, ROB ROY. THE JACKAL followed for Universal Pictures, seeing Caton-Jones direct Bruce Willis and Richard Gere. Prior to URBAN HYMN, Caton-Jones helmed the 8 part mini-series, WORLD WITHOUT END for Scott Free Productions. He currently lives in London with his wife and family.

Director's statement
“I was sent Nick’ s script by my agent in California and I was expecting a little streetwise movie, but when I read it I found there was an awful lot more to it than that. There were a lot of elements that could potentially make a really good film. It was the quality of the script that attracted me. It’s a story about the everyday life of human beings. It’ s about the potential we all have and the choices that we all face, whether to behave or whether to misbehave, whether to aspire and work hard or whether to just slack off. It’ s also about the choice of whether to help someone or whether to hinder them. So to me it’ s so chock full of normal life that I feel that this can translate to any country and any culture because it’ s really just about human beings. Specifically the appeal I think is just it’ s a really good story and it’ s really well told and it’ s really well acted. And the music will have you tapping your toes at one point or another. I really like it. I don’ t always like my films but I like this one!”

production
Eclipse Films
(United Kingdom)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.eclipsefilms.co.uk
-----
Dashishah Global Production SA
(Switzerland)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

world sales
festival contact
Metro International Entertainment
(United Kingdom)
www.metro-films.com