logo 2016

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2016 - 15.24 July

Sections & Films

MELLOW MUD

Category: Edition 2016

Synopsis
Loneliness, disillusionment and the experience of first love reveal the character of Raya, a 17-year-old living in rural Latvia with her grandmother and her little brother Robis. A staggering turn of events shakes up their lives, and the young girl must come to decisions that even a grown woman would find difficult to make.

Original Title Es Esmu Šeit
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 105'
Production Year 2016
Nationality Latvia
Directed by Renārs Vimba
Director of photography Arnar Thorisson
Editor Georgios Mavropsaridis
Production Design Aivars Žukovskis
Costume Design Līga Krāsone
Sound Jonas Maksvitis
Music Ēriks Ešenvalds
Main cast Elīna Vaska (Raya)
Andžejs Jānis Lilientāls (Robis)
Edgars Samītis (teacher)
Zane Jančevska (worker)
Ruta Birgere (grandmother)
Rēzija Kalnina (mother)
Produced by Aija Bērzina, Alise Ģelze

Photo Renars Vimba Mellow MudRenārs Vimba
In  2008, Renãrs Vimba enrolled  in  the  Latvian Academy  of  Culture, where  he studied cinematography; later he went to study under Boris Frumin at the Baltic Film and Media School  in  Tallinn;  in  2011,  he  received  an  MA  in  Film  Direction  from  the  Academy of Culture.  Vimba  has  received  additional  training  at  creative  workshops  in  Lithuania, Germany,  and  Russia.  His first film  ALLÈ,  a  student  project  at  the  Academy,  was shot  in 2006;  it  was  followed  by  shorts  FATHER PUPPET  (2008,  earning  a  Lielais  Kristaps nomination) and MOLS (2009). He is currently working on his second feature, SANCTUS.

Director's statement
“When working on a film, the author must take into account the fact that it creates a world in which he will have to live for several years, and this world will have characters one will have to cohabit day in day out. This world came to me in a vision about a fragile girl who, against all odds, is ready to face anything that threatens her world. I sympathized with her idealism, directness, and courage; all I had to do was follow her and, leaving out flashy slogans and artificial conceptual ambitions, bring it to the viewer as truthfully as possible. I hope the film, just like the world inhabited by its characters, is simple, direct, as beautiful as it is harsh, and, after all, life-confirming”.

production
TASSE FILM
(Latvia)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.tasse.lv

world sales
festival contact
PLUTO FILM
(Germany)