logo 2016

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2016 - 15.24 July

Sections & Films

MY REVOLUTION

Category: Edition 2016

Synopsis
With the Arab Spring blossoming in the heart of Paris, people take to the streets to show their support. Everyone except 14-year old Marwann, that is. Despite his Tunisian roots, Marwann is too preoccupied with adolescence, getting his parents off his back, becoming popular at school, and impressing his crush, Sygrid. When Marwann stumbles into a street rally one night and has his picture taken by a journalist, he lands on the cover of the biggest newspaper in France and accidentally becomes the face of the Arab Spring. Marwann is instantly branded as a revolutionary hero and the “cool kid” at his school. To win over Sygritte, Marwann embraces his new found identity, only to find himself on a journey of self-discovery, first love, and maybe even an actual connection with his roots.

Original Title Ma révolution
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 80'
Production Year 2016
Nationality France
Directed by Ramzi Ben Sliman
Screenplay Ramzi Ben Sliman, Thomas Cailley, Nathalie Saugeon
Director of photography Dominique Colin
Editor Damien Maestraggi
Music Julien Lourau
Main cast Samuel Vincent
Anamaria Vartolomei
Lubna Azabal
Samir Guesmi
Lucien Le Guern
Lucia Van Der Elst
Produced by Jérôme Dopffer, Sébastien Haguenauer

Foto Regista My RevolutionRamzi Ben Sliman
Ramzi Ben Sliman was born in Paris between the second oil crisis and François Mitterrand’s entry into power. He studied econometrics at ENS Paris. Before directing MY REVOLUTION, he made his living by teaching mathematics at university. He adapted and directed Albert Camus’ The Outsider at Studio Theater 14 in Paris and has also directed two short films. His passion for cinema started with his father, a traveling projectionist, and the screening room was his school. MY REVOLUTION is his first feature film.

Director's statement
What initially ignited my desire to do this movie was the historic upheaval that was the Arab Spring. Mohamed Bouazizi, a simple street vendor, answered the violence of power by reviving the Buddhist code of honor: he burned himself alive. It’s this sacrifice, this individual and isolated act, that will activate the fall of the tyrant. Romantically heroic, this young Tunisian wasn’t aware that his deed would open history’s gates. This is radically opposite to what leads Marwann’s character to his imposture. The teenager takes advantage of a worldwide historic event only to attract Sygrid’s attention, whom he’s infatuated with. The other reason is more personal, as this revolution raised some issues about who I am: a Frenchman, son of Tunisian immigrants. With much fervor, I promptly took part in the demonstrations celebrating Ben Ali’s fall in the streets of Paris, spurred by a deep, equivocal feeling of belonging to a country that I don’t know that well. […] Little by little, while writing the script, I finally admitted the complexity of that sense of belonging. I linked it to Marwann’s path. […] Marwann is hurled into that historic turmoil. He has to tame his feelings, understand, experience. […] He’s growing up”.

production
Les Productions Balthazar
(France)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.balthazarprod.com
---
10:15 Productions
(France)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

world sales
festival contact
Visit Films
(USA)
www.visitfilms.com