logo 2016

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2016 - 15.24 July

Sections & Films

BLUE BICYCLE

Category: Edition 2016

Synopsis
Ali, a 12-year-old small-town Turkish boy, recognizes injustice when he sees it. When his dad was killed in a work accident, the farm blamed his dad. But Ali and his mum know otherwise and they’ve sued in court, determined to see justice done. Meanwhile, to help her make ends meet, Ali works in a village repair shop, putting the tips aside to buy his dream blue bike! Ali encounters injustice at school as well. Elif, the bright girl in his class who is elected president of the students’ council, and whom Ali adores, was supposed to represent their school at an event in the big city, but she is passed over by the principal in favor of a new boy from a more prominent family. Enter Ali. Together with his best friend Yusuf, Ali starts a campaign to support Elif. Ali will always fight for what is right. His blue bike will have to wait.

Original Title Mavi Bisiklet
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 94'
Production Year 2016
Nationality Turkey
Directed by Ümit Köreken
Screenplay Ümit Köreken, Nursen Çetin Köreken
Director of photography Niklas Lindschau
Editor Ali Aga
Make up Esma Keskin
Music Cafer Ozan Türkyılmaz
Main cast Selim Kaya (Ali)
Eray Kılıçarslan (Yusuf)
Bahriye Arın (Elif)
Katya Shenkova (Halime)
Fatih Koca (Principal)
Produced by Ümit Köreken, Nursen Çetin Köreken

yonetmen umitkorekenÜmit Köreken
Born in Akşehir, Turkey, in 1978, he graduated from Anadolu University’s Faculty of Business Management. He has written for radio, theatre and screen. His plays and stories were published in a wide variety of print and online media. He studied digital filmmaking in 2011.

Director's statement
“Blue Bicycle is a story of young love, of dreams and of a quest for justice. It tells the story of a small town boy, trying to make sense of what’s going on around him and how he is capable of sacrificing the blue bicycle he has been dreaming of for a long, long time to rectify an injustice he witnesses.
The hero of our story, Ali is on his way to become an adult. Losing his father at an early age has put a heavy burden on his shoulders. The murky circumstances surrounding the death of his father and his mother’s state of mind, heavily affected by her loss, have all thrown Ali into confusion. He tries to adapt to the world of adults and keep his childhood dreams alive. He gives the money he earns in the tire shop to his mother and puts aside his tips to buy a blue bicycle. It is important to me that young people watch Blue Bicycle. But though we started it as a project for young viewers, I hope adults will also be interested in the film. Because one of my objectives is to remind adults what they were like when they were kids and how they behaved. I want to remind them of the challenges they faced. I grew up in a working class family, in a region where people work with their body and soul. I mingled with all these people and I had the pleasure of working with children, who never cease to inspire me. I think it is an edifying and amusing experience to view the world from the perspective of young people […]”.

production
festival contact
Drama Film Prodüksiyon
(Turkey)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.dramayapim.com

world sales
Attraction Distribution
(Canada)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.attractiondistribution.ca