logo 2015

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2015 - 17.26 July

Sections & Films

COIN LOCKER GIRL

Category: Edition 2015

Synopsis
As a just-born-baby, Il-young gets abandoned in a coin-locker in a subway station. Eight years later, in Chinatown she meets a woman known as “Mom”, who is a crime boss and takes in Il-young as a daughter. Il-young grows up, and one day meets Suk-hyun, a boy who introduces her to a new world, different from what her “Mom” has shown her. For the first time, Il-young becomes curious about life in a world outside Chinatown. “Mom” notices this change in Il-young and gives her a task that might be her last.

Original Title CHINATOWN
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 110'
Nationality South Korea
Directed by Han Jun-hee
Screenplay Han Jun-hee
Director of photography Lee Chang-jae
Editor Shin Min-kyung
Production Design Lee Mok-won
Costume Design Choi Se-yeon
Sound Gong Tae-won
Music Jang Young-gyu, Kim Sun
Main cast Kim Ko-eun (Il-young)
Kim Hye-soo (“Mom”)
Park Bo-gum (Suk-hyun)
Um Tae-goo (Woo-gon)
Go Kyung-pyo (Chi-do)
Lee Soo-kyung (Song)
Produced by An Eun-mi, Cho Dong-ki
Access

HAN-Jun-hee-regOKHan Jun-hee
Born 1984, South Korea. In 2013 he wrote the screenplay of the feature film THE GIFTED HANDS (SAIKOMETEURI), directed by Kweon Ho-Young. COIN LOCKER GIRL is her first feature film as a director, and was screened in the International Critics’ Week section at the Cannes Film Festival 2015.

Director’s statement
“I like the saying, ‘No one desired to be born, but we were and so we continue to live’. No one wished to be born into this world. And no matter what kind of life we’re destined for, we manage to live with it. I wanted to tell a not-so-grand story about ‘survival’. The background of this film is set in the cruel and harsh world of Chinatown with characters who have been abandoned. However, you will be able to discover that their lives aren’t much different from our enduring lives.

“It was very important to stand by my principle of ‘not creating a character without a reason’. For example, with the villains, I strived to give plausible reasons for their actions and characters. If the audience couldn’t be convinced, this film would be meaningless. In addition, most of the characters do not easily show their emotions, so I focused on their facial expressions and nonverbal emotional lines. Such quiet characters make a strong impression when their emotions explode at the end of the film”.

production
Pollux Pictures
301Ho, Seongil B/D 51, Gangnam-daero 97-gil, Seocho-gu, Seoul - Korea
phone +82 7045431776

world sales
festival contact
CJ Entertainment
17th Fl., CJ E&M Center, 66 Sangamsan-ro, Mapo-gu, Seoul, 121-904 - Korea
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.cj-entertainment.com