logo 2015

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2015 - 17.26 July

Sections & Films

DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN

Category: Edition 2015

Synopsis
In Ireland’s bleak rural South, troubled teenage sharpshooter Cleo Callahan strives to avenge the death of her estranged sister Ashy after she is found brutally stabbed in a public bathroom. Blinded by rage and shame, Cleo is unaware that her best and only friend, Robin O’Riley, is the murderer she’s sworn to kill. Struggling with repressed guilt for not saving the sister who abandoned her, Cleo hunts through her small town’s outer limits for the killer. Meanwhile Robin’s older brother Virgil, who loved Ashy from a distance, is also investigating her death and draws closer to the truth discovering that his sister may have been involved. The three become tragically entangled, leading to an inevitable bloody showdown that costs them all severely.

Original Title DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 87'
Production Year 2014
Nationality Ireland
Directed by Patrick Ryan
Screenplay Patrick Ryan
Director of photography Tommy Fitzgerald
Editor Conor Fitzpatrick
Production Design Aoife Murray
Costume Design Tania Persechini
Sound Mick Duncan
Music Alex Ryan
Main cast Emma Eliza Regan (Cleo Callahan)
Emma Willis (Robin O’Riley)
Brian Gleeson (Virgil O’Riley)
Chris Fitzgerald (Donnacha Malone)
Olwen Catherine Kelly (Ashy Callahan)
Clodagh Downing (Georgia O’Riley)
Produced by Lisa Mackintosh, Tommy Fitzgerald, Patrick Ryan
Access

Patrick-Ryan OKPatrick Ryan
Born 1988, UK. At the age of twelve, he moved to the County Kerry, Ireland. In 2010 he graduated in Directing from the National Film School with the diploma short film GLASSJAW. In 2011 he completed an MA in Screenwriting with the thesis script DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN, on which he based his same titled first feature film as a director.

Director’s statement
“DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN combines the aesthetics of a Western with the structure of a classical tragedy. It’s intended as subversion of both the Western genre and the traditional ‘whodunnit’ crime story; by revealing the killer up front, tension is driven by anticipating characters reactions. The narrative focus instantly becomes more psychological and the form far more like a morality play. For me, great films are not about nice people doing nice things to each other, and life is only interesting at the extremes. To counterbalance the dark, violent inevitability of the plot, striking the right tone was critical to me; I tried to create a sense of nostalgia, an atmosphere we enhanced with the score and cinematography. Some of my favourite films have left me feeling nostalgic for a place I’ve never been to; I hoped to recreate something similar with my own”.

production
Lagoon Pictures
58 Fitzwilliam Square North, Dublin 2 - Ireland
phone +353 877683681 / +353 868973711
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.lagoonpictures.com

world sales
festival contact
Cinemavault
1240 Bay Street, Suite 307, Toronto, M5R 2A7 - Canada
phone +1 4163636060
fax +1 4163632305
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.cinemavault.com