logo 2014

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2014 - 18.27 July

Sections & Films

CASA GRANDE, OR THE BALLAD OF POOR JEAN

Category: Edition 2014

Synopsis

Jean, seventeen year-old, lives with his parents and his younger sister in the elite district of Rio, among private schools, drivers and housekeepers. Jean is in his last year at secondary school, has to choose what to study and is busy with girls, his appearance and nightlife. While Jean tries to escape from his over-protective parents, they keep their approaching bankruptcy secret. Above this well-organised and elitist world, dark clouds gather when it becomes apparent that Jean’s dad, without informing his children, has nearly used up all his money.

Original Title CASA GRANDE, OR THE BALLAD OF POOR JEAN
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 112'
Production Year 2014
Nationality Brazil
Directed by Fellipe Barbosa
Screenplay Fellipe Barbosa, Karen Sztajnberg
Director of photography Pedro Sotero
Editor Karen Sztajnberg, Nina Galanternick
Production Design Ana Paula Cardoso
Costume Design Gabriela Campos
Sound Waldir Xavier
Music Patrick Laplan, Victor Camelo
Main cast Thales Cavalcanti (Jean)
Marcello Novaes (Hugo)
Suzana Pires (Sonia)
Alice Melo (Nathalie)
Bruna Amaya (Luiza)
Clarissa Pinheiro (Rita)
Produced by Iafa Britz

Fellipe BarbosaFellipe Barbosa

Fellipe Gamarano Barbosa was born in 1981, in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil). He studied Film at Columbia University in New York. He directed several short films: two of them, LA MUERTE ES PEQUEÑA (2005) and SALT KISS (2007), were screened at the Sundance Film Festival. In 2011 he directed the feature length documentary LAURA. CASA GRANDE is his first fiction feature film as a director, and was screened at the Rotterdam International Film Festival 2014.

Director’s statement

“CASA GRANDE, OR THE BALLAD OF POOR JEAN is my first narrative feature. It’s an extremely personal film, since it portrays the world in which I grew up and from which I tried to escape. My main intention was to tell a great story, focusing on characters and their relationships, set in a very specific and authentic universe. I worked with non-professional teenage actors alongside soap opera stars, whose image connects with the characters in the film. Besides the naturalism in the performances, I strived for a formal rigor”.

produzione/production

Migdal Filmes

Av. das Américas, 500 Bloco 21 - Portaria C - Sala 323, Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro - 22640-904 - Brazil

phone +55 2124963508

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.migdalfilmes.com.br

distribuzione internazionale/world sales

festival contact

Visit Films

173 Richardson Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11222 - USA

phone +1 7183128210

fax +1 7183624865

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.visitfilms.com