logo 2014

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2014 - 18.27 July

Sections & Films

JACK AND THE CUCKOO-CLOCK HEART

Category: Edition 2014

Synopsis

Edinburgh, 1874. Jack is born on the coldest day in history and his heart remains frozen. Doctor Madeleine saves his life by inserting a mechanical cuckoo clock in place of his defective heart. The boy will survive, thanks to that magical contraption, but only if he observes three golden rules. First of all, he must never touch the hands of the clock. Secondly, he must control his anger. And last, but certainly not least, he must never, ever fall in love. The moment Jack sets eyes on street singer Miss Acacia, the hands of his clock-heart begin to race. Desperate to find her again, Jack launches himself – like a Don Quixote – into a romantic quest that will lead him from the lochs of Scotland, to the city of Paris and all the way to Andalusia…

Original Title JACK ET LA MÉCANIQUE DU COEUR
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Animation, Feature Film
Duration 94'
Production Year 2013
Nationality France
Directed by Mathias Malzieu, Stéphane Berla
Screenplay Mathias Malzieu
Based on the book “La mécanique du coeur”
by Mathias Malzieu
Editor Soline Guyonneau
Production Design Mike Ponton, Guillaume Bouchateau
Music Dionysos
Original Voices Mathias Malzieu (Jack)
Olivia Ruiz (Miss Acacia)
Jean Rochefort (Méliès)
Rossy de Palma (Luna)
Grand Corps Malade (Joe)
Babet (Anna)
Produced by Virginie Besson-Silla

Mathias MalzieuMathias Malzieu

Born 1974, Montpellier (France). He is the founding member of the band Dionysos which he formed with schoolfriends in 1993. He wrote novels including LA MÉCANIQUE DU COEUR, which was also published in the UK, Germany and Italy.

Stéphane BerlaStéphane Berla

Born 1975, Lyon (France). He has directed several short films (such as SCOUB 2), music videos and commercials. He regularly combines live action scenes with animated elements and digital manipulation. This is his first feature film.

Director’s statement (Mathias Malzieu)

“I wanted to talk about passionate love and a tolerance for difference, which are two very powerful themes, with the idea of an adventure lurking behind them. I wanted to do something like THE LITTLE PRINCE or PINOCCHIO — without pretending to hold a candle to them — only slightly more surreal, with imagery that’s a little more out there. People often mention Tim Burton, and I love the relationship between beauty and monstrosity in his work. But I feel closer to Jim Jarmusch and his slightly weary characters, or to the baroque yet tender side of Fellini, or FREAKS by Tod Browning, who also broached the subject of difference, in a slightly unsettling yet poetic and sweet way. I might also mention Edward Gorey and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, a very free artist who I really like and hope to pay tribute to with this film. I love combining different tones, which is why I’ve intertwined the fairytale with the reality of Edinburgh, and I tried to pull very human, very real emotions from the images”.

produzione/production

EuropaCorp

Duran

France 3 Cinéma

distribuzione internazionale/world sales

festival contact

EuropaCorp Distribution

La Cité du Cinéma - 20, rue Ampère, 93413 Saint-Denis Cedex - France

phone +33 155995000

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.europacorp.com