logo 2014

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2014 - 18.27 July

Sections & Films

FINN

Category: Edition 2014

Synopsis

Finn, 9 years old, lives with his father in the countryside. He plays football with his best friend, Erik. Finn would like to play music, but his father wants him to play football, just like all the other boys. Finn doesn’t understand why, but his father doesn’t want to talk about it. Near an abandoned farm, Finn meets Luuk, an old and mysterious man who plays the violin so beautifully, that Finn is enchanted. While his father thinks he is playing football, Finn is from now on secretly going to the farm to practice. His best friend Erik thinks he’s mad. Is Finn the only one who can see how enchanting music can be? Or is something else going on?

Original Title FINN
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90’
Production Year 2013
Nationality Netherlands
Directed by Frans Weisz
Screenplay Janneke van der Pal
Director of photography Goert Giltay
Editor Michiel Reichwein
Production Design Gerard Loomans
Costume Design Manon Blom
Sound Jan Willem van den Brink
Music Fons Merkies
Main cast Mels van der Hoeven (Finn)
Daan Schuurmans (Frank)
Jan Decleir (Luuk)
Hanna Verboom (Leonore)
Jenny Arean (Eijsing)
Mark van Eeuwen
Produced by Michiel de Rooij, Sabine Veenendaal, Jeroen Beker

Frans-WeiszFrans Weisz

Born in 1938, in Amsterdam. He is a film and television director. He began his studies at the theatre school, but he quit after one year to go to the Amsterdam Film Academy. Then he was awarded a scholarship for the Italian film school Experimental Film Centre in Rome. He directed such feature films as RED SIEN (ROOIE SIEN, 1975), CHARLOTTE (1981), A HOT SUMMER NIGHT (EEN ZWOELE ZOMERAVOND, 1982), HAVINCK (1987), LEEDVERMAAK (1989), LAST CALL (HOOGSTE TIJD, 1995), QUI VIVE (2001), BOY ECURY (2003), HAPPY END (2009). He also directed TV series such as BIJ NADER INZIEN (1991), THE BETRAYED (OP AFBETALING, 1993), HET JAAR VAN DE OPVOLGING (1998).

Director’s statement

“A Christmas Film! I remember how I used to spend much of the Christmas season in the cinema with my mother, and how we were warm with emotion when witnessing that ‘the good’ in man ultimately triumphed, then walked home with a melancholy sense of joy. I’ve always wanted to make a film like that and Janneke van der Pal’s FINN offers the perfect opportunity. Friendship, jealousy, love, betrayal and death, and at the end of it all there is snow: a Christmas Film!”.
“In this film, playing with reality is essential. Finn’s mother died when he was born, but Finn is secretly keeping her alive by using her as a guide and confidante, through a photograph. One may think that it is all ‘in the eye of the beholder’, but for Finn it is a secret alliance between him and his mother”.
“Also, one might think the relationship and dialogue between Finn and his violin teacher Luuk was designed by Finn himself. Perhaps it’s Finn’s desire and passion, that stirs Luuk back to life and his existence is therefore only meaningful for Finn. But the miracle also takes possession of us. We, the spectators, hold Luuk close to our hearts. That is the magic and the power of a fairy tale: in our case a Christmas film”.
“Finally, I would like to emphasise how happy I am with Mels and his extraordinary talent! This started after seeing more than 300 children over a period of eighteen months, where in the very last audition, Mels sat down on a chair in front of me and I was rendered speechless. I knew with all my heart and being, that ‘Finn’ was sitting in front of me. This has ensured that there wasn’t a single day that I felt anxious or reluctant to enter the set”.

produzione/production
festival contact

Flinck Film BV

Sarphatistraat 51 Amsterdam - P.O. Box 76256 1070 EG Amsterdam - The Netherlands

phone +31 205703130

fax +31 31 205703139

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.flinckfilm.nl

distribuzione internazionale/world sales

Attraction Distribution

5455 De Gaspe Ave., Suite 803, Montreal, Quebec H2T 3B3 - Canada

phone +1 5148461222

fax +1 5148461227

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.attractiondistribution.ca