logo 2013

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2013 - 19.28 July

Sections & Films

IT FELT LIKE LOVE

Category: Edition 2013

Synopsis
During an uneventful summer on the outskirts of Brooklyn, Lila, a lonely fourteen-year-old from Gravesend, turns her attentions to Sammy, an older guy she sees at Rockaway beach. Wanting something to brag about, she weaves a story about him and becomes fixated on seeing it realized. When her attempts fail, she propels the lie even further, claiming they’ve had sex. During her sexual quest, Lila turns from predator to prey.

Sinossi
Nel corso di una tranquilla estate, alla periferia di Brooklyn, Lila, una introversa quattordicenne originaria della città inglese di Gravesend, rivolge le sue attenzioni a Sammy, un ragazzo di qualche anno più grande di lei incontrato sulla spiaggia di Rockaway. Per avere qualcosa di cui vantarsi con le amiche, Lila cerca di intrecciare una storia d’amore con Sammy, e si ritrova ossessionata da lui e dal desiderio di tradurre tale storia in realtà. Dopo aver visto fallire ogni tentativo in questo senso, Lila comincia a mentire, a inventarsi e a raccontare in giro di essere stata a letto con Sammy. Nella sua esplorazione della sessualità, Lila finisce per trasformarsi da predatrice in preda.

Original Title IT FELT LIKE LOVE
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +18
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 82’
Production Year 2013
Nationality USA
Directed by Eliza Hittman
Screenplay Eliza Hittman
Director of photography Sean Porter
Editor Carlos Marques-Marcet, Scott Cummings
Production Design James Boxer
Costume Design Sarah Maiorino
Sound Nathan Ruyle
Main cast Gina Piersanti (Lila)
Giovanna Salimeni (Chiara)
Ronen Rubinstein (Sammy)
Jesse Cordasco (Patrick)
Nicolas Rosen (Devon)
Richie Folio (Justin)
Produced by Eliza Hittman, Shrihari Sathe, Laura Wagner

ItFeltLikeLove-DirectorElizaHittmanEliza Hittman
Born 1979, New York. She studied Film Directing at the California Institute of the Arts. She directed several short films, such as TRICKSTER (2008), SECOND COUSINS ONCE REMOVED (2010), and FOREVER’S GONNA START TONIGHT (2011), that was screened at the Sundance Film Festival 2011. IT FELT LIKE LOVE is her first feature film.

Eliza Hittman
Nata nel 1979 a New York. Studia regia al California Institute of the Arts. Ha diretto diversi cortometraggi, tra cui TRICKSTER (2008), SECOND COUSINS ONCE REMOVED (2010), e FOREVER’S GONNA START TONIGHT (2011), presentato al Sundance Film Festival 2011. IT FELT LIKE LOVE è il suo primo lungometraggio da regista.

Director’s statement
“With IT FELT LIKE LOVE I wanted to show outtakes from childhood: the lonely moments, the surges of false confidence, and small humiliating details that are often buried in our memories. I have always been fascinated with the portrayal of coming-of-age themes in film, as a process of disillusionment. I am also very interested in filmmakers that take a radical, unsentimental approach to sex and sexual awakening within this genre, like Maurice Pialat and Catherine Breillat. My work similarly emphasizes the transitional moments for young women, characters that are highly underrepresented in film. I investigate emotional taboos, internalized feelings like humiliation, self-deception, desperation and shame. The discomfort involved with watching my characters navigate the world not only reflects the truth of our experience but connects audiences to something deep inside themselves. Visually, my work experiments with a subjective, more poetic form of realism, where the world resists an objective perspective and instead hews to the character’s perception of the events. Resisting the conventions of verite, I use slow motion and prefer close-ups. Conversely, the wides I chose create an emotional release. IT FELT LIKE LOVE has very little dialogue and explicit story exposition, and instead uses charged images, details, music and sound design to create a hyper-subjective and immersive cinema experience”.

Dichiarazioni della regista
“Con IT FELT LIKE LOVE volevo mostrare i frammenti rimossi dell’infanzia: i momenti di solitudine, gli impulsi di fiducia malriposta, e i piccoli dettagli umilianti che sono spesso sepolti nei nostri ricordi. Sono sempre stata affascinata dalla rappresentazione cinematografica dei temi relativi alla crescita vista come processo di disillusione. Mi interessano molto anche quei registi che, all’interno di questo genere, hanno un atteggiamento radicale e distaccato verso il sesso e l’iniziazione sessuale, come Maurice Pialat e Catherine Breillat. In un modo simile, il mio lavora enfatizza i momenti di transizione vissuti dalle giovani donne, figure fortemente trascurate dal cinema. Io indago sui tabù emotivi, sulle sensazioni interiori come l’umiliazione, l’autoinganno, la disperazione e la vergogna. Il disagio che nasce dall’osservare i miei personaggi navigare nel mondo, non solo riflette la verità della nostra esperienza, ma porta gli spettatori a comunicare con qualcosa che sta nel profondo di se stessi. Sul piano visivo, il mio lavoro sperimenta una forma di realismo soggettivo e poetico, in cui il mondo si oppone a un’ottica oggettiva e aderisce alla percezione che i personaggi hanno degli eventi. Rifiutando le convenzioni del cinéma vérité, adopero il ralenti e prediligo i primi piani. Viceversa, i campi lunghi che ho scelto creano una catarsi emotiva. IT FELT LIKE LOVE ha pochi dialoghi, una esposizione narrativa lineare, e al contempo usa immagini caricate, dettagli, musica e suono per creare un’esperienza cinematografica ipersoggettiva e coinvolgente, immersiva”.

produzione/production
Bay Bridge Productions
Infinitum Productions
distribuzione internazionale/world sales
festival contact
Visit Films
173 Richardson Street, Brooklyn, NY 11222 - USA
phone +1 7183128210
fax +1 7183624865
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.visitfilms.com