logo 2013

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2013 - 19.28 July

Sections & Films

CLARA AND THE SECRET OF THE BEARS

Category: Edition 2013

Synopsis
13-year-old Clara lives with her mother Nina and her stepfather Jon on a remote farm in the Swiss Alps. Clara’s sensitivity and her strong connection with nature enable her to see and feel things others cannot perceive. Only in 12-year-old Thomas, Clara finds a confidant and an ally. Through the discovery of an ancient girl’s shoe, Clara connects with Susanna, a girl of the same age who lived on the farm two centuries ago. Susanna is deeply troubled: her father has captured a bear cub and – according to an age-old legend – a curse falls upon those who do wrong against bears. To the dismay of Clara’s parents, Clara decides to help Susanna. But before the two girls succeed to free the bear cub and to restore balance between man and nature in the past, Clara and Thomas have to engage in an equally dangerous adventure in the present day.

Sinossi
Clara, 13 anni, vive con la madre Nina e il patrigno Jon in una remota e isolata fattoria sulle Alpi svizzere. La sensibilità di Clara e il suo forte legame con la natura la rendono capace di vedere e udire cose che gli altri non riescono a percepire. Solo nel dodicenne Thomas, Clara trova un amico e un alleato. Attraverso il ritrovamento di un’antica scarpa, Clara entra in contatto con Susanna, una ragazza della sua età vissuta nella fattoria due secoli prima. Susanna è profondamente turbata: suo padre ha catturato un cucciolo di orso e, secondo un’antica leggenda, coloro che fanno del male agli orsi vengono colpiti da una maledizione. Clara decide di aiutare Susanna, suscitando lo sgomento dei propri genitori. Ma prima che le due ragazze riescano a salvare il cucciolo d’orso e a sanare l’equilibrio tra uomo e natura nel passato, Clara e Thomas si ritrovano ad affrontare un’avventura altrettanto pericolosa nel presente.

Original Title CLARA UND DAS GEHEIMNIS DER BÄREN
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 93’
Production Year 2012
Nationality Switzerland
Directed by Tobias Ineichen
Screenplay Jan Poldervaart
Based on the book “Het Vervloekte Huis”
by Marian van der Heiden
Director of photography Michael Schreitel
Editor Mike Schaerer
Production Design Nina Bachmann
Costume Design Birgitta Lohrer-Horres, Carol Luchetta
Music Fabian Römer
Main cast Ricarda Zimmerer (Clara)
Damian Hardung (Thomas)
Elena Uhlig (Nina)
Roeland Wiesnekker (Jon)
Rifka Fehr (Susanna)
Monica Gubser (la nonna di Jon/Jon’s grandmother)
Produced by Simon Hesse, Valentin Greutert

Tobias-Ineichen 2Tobias Ineichen
Born 1964, Lucerne (Switzerland). In 1989 he graduated from the École Supérieure d‘Art Visuel in Geneva (ESAV/HEAD) at the department of film with his diploma film LE DÉCOUPAGE, that was shown at the Film Festival in Locarno. Since 1998, he directed a variety of short films, documentaries and commercials. In 2002 he directed his debut feature film DILEMMA, followed by several TV movies and TV series. CLARA AND THE SECRET OF THE BEARS is his ninth feature film as a director.

Tobias Ineichen
Nato nel 1964 a Lucerna, in Svizzera. Nel 1989 si diploma in Cinema alla Scuola Superiore di Arti Visive di Ginevra (ESAV/HEAD), con il cortometraggio di diploma LE DÉCOUPAGE, presentato al Festival di Locarno del 1990. Dal 1998 ha realizzato diversi cortometraggi, documentari e spot pubblicitari. Nel 2002 ha diretto il suo primo lungometraggio, DILEMMA, seguito da svariati film e serie per la tv. CLARA AND THE SECRET OF THE BEARS è il suo nono lungometraggio da regista.

Director’s statement
“Clara’s story reminded me of my own childhood fantasies and parallel worlds, and I really wanted to retrace these intensive experiences veering between feelings of happiness and fear. I was also fascinated by the fact that the story of Clara is aimed at children as well as adults, and this is a really exciting, demanding challenge for a director. Regardless of the genre, it’s important to me that my films have certain universal components and relevance. In this film we have focussed on showing a globally threatened equilibrium between man and nature, yet without pointing an admonitory, pedagogical finger. It’s also about family, emancipation and the self-determination of children, and it’s very important to me to present these themes seriously and in a way that’s as exciting as possible. Both children and adults should be able to dive into Clara’s world and, above all, the film wishes to take children between the ages of 8 and 13 seriously, and to have confidence in them. Children understand certain things better than we adults do, and for this reason I believe that many children will feel themselves taken seriously with CLARA and will be able to identify with the film and its main character Clara. Overall the audience can look forward to an exciting, mysterious and sensitive film with strong characters and a lot of action”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“La storia di Clara mi ha riportato alla mente le mie fantasie, i miei mondi paralleli, e così ho voluto ripercorrere queste intense esperienze, navigando tra sentimenti di felicità e di paura. Ero anche affascinato dal fatto che la storia di Clara si rivolgesse sia ai bambini che agli adulti, e questa per un regista è una sfida davvero stimolante e impegnativa. Indipendentemente dal genere, per me è importante che i miei film abbiano elementi e rilevanza universali. In questo film ci siamo impegnati a mostrare il precario equilibrio tra uomo e natura, pur senza puntare un dito ammonitore e pedagogico. È anche un film sulla famiglia, sull’emancipazione e sull’autonomia dei ragazzi, ed è molto importante per me presentare questi temi in modo serio e al contempo allettante. Sia i bambini che gli adulti dovrebbero essere capaci di tuffarsi nel mondo di Clara e, in modo particolare, il film intende prendere sul serio i ragazzi tra gli 8 e i 13 anni, mostrare fiducia in loro. I ragazzi capiscono certe cose meglio degli adulti, e perciò credo che molti ragazzi, con CLARA, si sentiranno presi sul serio e si identificheranno con il film e con la sua protagonista. Tutto il pubblico si troverà dinanzi a un film emozionante, misterioso e appassionato, con personaggi potenti e tanta azione”.

produzione/production
festival contact
HesseGreutert Film AG
Badenerstrasse 129, CH-8004 - Zurich
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.hessegreutert.ch
distribuzione internazionale/world sales
Attraction Distribution
5455 De Gaspe Ave., Suite 803, Montreal, Quebec H2T 3B3
phone +1 5148461222
fax 5148461227
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.