logo 2012

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2012 - 14.24 July

Sections & Films

LE TABLEAU

Category: Edition 2012

Synopsis
A castle, a forest, gardens, here is what a Painter has left incomplete. Three kinds of characters live in this picture: the Alldunns, who are complete, the Halfies, who lack a few colours, and the Sketchies, who are little more than mere lines. Considering themselves superior, the Alldunns take over, chase the Halfies from the castle and enslave the Sketchies. Ramo, a young Alldunn, convinced that only the Painter can restore harmony by finishing his work, decides to go and find him. Lola, a young Halfie who wants to discover other worlds, and Quill, a Sketchy who has no other choice but to flee, join Ramo. The quest takes them to the Painter’s workshop and his abandoned paintings. Inside the War painting Lola meets Magenta, a drummer-boy who comes along with them. Throughout the adventure, questions will follow one after the other: what has become of the Painter? Why is he destroying his paintings? Will they know the Painter's secret?

Sinossi
Un castello, un bosco, giardini: le cose lasciate incompiute da un pittore in un quadro dove vivono tre tipi di personaggi: i Completi, interamente dipinti, gli Incompleti, privi di qualche colore, e gli Schizzi, appena abbozzati. Considerandosi superiori, i Completi prendono il potere, cacciano gli Incompleti dal castello e assoggettano gli Schizzi. Ramo, un giovane Completo, crede che solo il Pittore possa riportare l’armonia terminando la sua opera, e decide di partire per cercarlo. A lui si uniscono Lola, una giovane Incompleta ansiosa di scoprire altri mondi, e Piuma, uno Schizzo, costretto alla fuga. La ricerca li conduce allo studio del Pittore e negli altri suoi dipinti, tutti abbandonati. In un quadro dedicato alla Guerra, Lola incontra Magenta, un tamburino che si aggrega a loro. Lungo il filo dell’avventura si snodano domande: che ne è del pittore? Perché sta distruggendo le sue opere? Qual è il suo segreto?

Original Title LE TABLEAU
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Animation, Feature Film
Duration 76’
Production Year 2011
Nationality France
Directed by Jean-François Laguionie
Screenplay Anik Le Ray, Jean-François Laguionie
Editor Emmanuel de Miranda
Animation Lionel Chauvin
Production Design Jean Palenstjin
Sound Bruno Seznec
Music Pascal Le Pennec
Original Voices Adrien Larmande (Ramo)
Jessica Monceau (Lola)
Thierry Jahn (Quill/Plume)
Thomas Sagols (Magenta)
Julien Bouanich (Gom)
Céline Ronte (Garance)
Produced by Armelle Glorennec, Éric Jacquot

Jean-Francois-LaguionieJean-François Laguionie
Born 1939, Besançon (France). After he completed Applied Arts studies, he met Paul Grimault who introduced him to the art of animation. They shared for ten years a workshop where he worked on his first animation shorts, such as ROWING ACROSS THE ATLANTIC (LA TRAVERSÉE DE L'ATLANTIQUE À LA RAME, 1978), which won the Cannes Palme d’Or for best short film. In 1985 he directed his first animated feature, GWEN, OR THE BOOK OF SAND (GWEN, LE LIVRE DE SABLE), followed by A MONKEY’S TALE (LE CHÂTEAU DES SINGES, 1999) and BLACK MOR’S ISLAND (L’ÎLE DE BLACK MÓR, 2004).

Jean-François Laguionie
Nato nel 1939 a Besançon (Francia). Dopo gli studi in Arti Applicate, incontra Paul Grimault, che lo fa entrare nell’arte dell’animazione. Per dieci anni i due dividono un laboratorio dove Laguionie realizza i suoi primi corti, come LA TRAVERSÉE DE L'ATLANTIQUE À LA RAME (1978), che vince la Palma d’Oro a Cannes per il miglior cortometraggio. Nel 1985 dirige il suo primo lungometraggio d’animazione, GWEN, LE LIVRE DE SABLE, cui seguono SCIMMIE COME NOI (LE CHÂTEAU DES SINGES, 1999) e L’ÎLE DE BLACK MÓR (2004).

Director’s statement
Anik Le Ray’s script confronts painted characters, emerged from their painting, with a real-life world – that of the Painter’s workshop. Our purpose is to justify this encounter in a natural rather than an aesthetic way: the adventures of a painter with his creation is too magnificent and profound a subject for it to be mixed with images purely for visual pleasure. My main concern was to make this incredible adventure perfectly credible, for all audiences.
There has been considerable work done on the characters because there are many Alldunns, Halfies and Sketchies, and they are capricious! They were created by the Painter’s brush but have since been abandoned. They have consequently developed their own personalities and they do not all see eye to eye on the importance of seeking out their Creator. In my eyes, this is the most interesting part of the story. It urges us to ask questions about our own existence and freedoms: the choice of painting oneself, the choice of seeking data and truth elsewhere. We have tried to tackle this aspect of the film in a light-hearted way, without weighing down the other levels of interpretation.

Dichiarazioni del regista
La sceneggiatura di Anik le Ray fa incontrare personaggi dipinti, emersi dal loro quadro, con il mondo reale, quello del laboratorio del Pittore. Noi abbiamo cercato di giustificare questo incontro in un modo naturale più che estetico: le avventure di un pittore e della sua creazione rappresentano un soggetto troppo meraviglioso e troppo profondo per essere mescolato con le immagini ai fini di un piacere puramente visivo. La mia preoccupazione principale era quella di rendere queste avventure perfettamente credibili, per tutti i tipi di pubblico.
Abbiamo fatto un lavoro considerevole sui personaggi, perché i Completi, gli Incompleti e gli Schizzi sono molti, e sono capricciosi! Sono stati creati dal pennello del Pittore, ma poi sono stati abbandonati. Hanno così sviluppato le loro personalità, e la ricerca del Creatore non ha per tutti lo stesso significato. Secondo me questo è l’aspetto più interessante del film. Ci spinge a porci domande sulla nostra esistenza, sulle nostre libertà: la scelta di dipingere se stessi, la scelta di cercare la verità altrove, più lontano. Abbiamo cercato di affrontare questo aspetto del film in modo leggero, senza appesantire gli altri livelli di interpretazione.

produzione/production
Blue Spirit Animation
55, rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris - France
 phone +33 178422222
www.spirit-prod.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
distribuzione internazionale/world sales
festival contact
Rezo Films
29, rue du Faubourg Poissonnière, 75009 Paris - France
phone +33 142464630
fax +33 142464082
www.rezofilms.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.