logo 2012

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2012 - 14.24 July

Sections & Films

NORMAN

Category: Edition 2012

Synopsis
Norman Long is a high school loner, a darkly funny teen. In the wake of his mother’s sudden death, Norman must now also deal with the reality that his father is losing his battle with stomach cancer. Norman, depressed and angry, unintentionally gets caught in a lie that he in fact has stomach cancer. Soon his complete distortion of the facts spirals out of control. Partially as a way to feel closer to his father, and to a certain degree to prepare others for his possible suicide, Norman begins to imitate his father’s symptoms, dramatically affecting his life and the world around him. Emily, an enchanting girl, gets caught up in Norman’s fabrication and struggles with her romantic feelings in the face of Norman’s “impending” death. Norman must confront a burning set of conflicting emotions as he struggles to define his relationship with his father, his love for Emily, and who he will be as a young man.

Sinossi
Norman Long è uno studente solitario, un adolescente dotato di humour nero. Dopo la morte improvvisa della madre, deve affrontare anche il fatto che il padre stia perdendo la sua lotta contro un tumore allo stomaco. Avvilito e arrabbiato, Norman si ritrova senza volerlo a fingere di essere lui ad avere un tumore allo stomaco. Presto finisce per deformare la realtà al punto tale da perdere il controllo della situazione. Per sentirsi più vicino al padre, e per preparare gli altri al proprio eventuale suicidio, Norman inizia a imitare dal genitore i sintomi della malattia, affliggendo la propria vita e quella delle persone che lo circondano. Emily, una incantevole ragazza, cade nell’inganno ed è costretta a fronteggiare i sentimenti che la “morte imminente” di Norman le suscita. Norman dovrà misurarsi con una tempesta di emozioni contrastanti, e combattere per definire il rapporto con il padre, l’amore per Emily, e la propria identità.

Original Title NORMAN
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 99’
Production Year 2010
Nationality USA
Directed by Jonathan Segal
Screenplay Talton Wingate
Director of photography Darren Genet
Editor Robert Hoffman
Production Design Vince De Felice
Costume Design Lisa Caryl
Music Andrew Bird
Main cast Dan Byrd (Norman Long)
Emily VanCamp (Emily Harris)
Richard Jenkins (Doug Long)
Adam Goldberg (Mr. Angelo)
Billy Lush (James)
Camille Mana (Helen Black)
Produced by Kim Blackburn, Rich Cowan, Dan Keston, Hawk Koch, Jonathan Segal

Norman JS directorJonathan Segal
After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, he took part in an internship program at Paramount Pictures. In 1995 he made his directorial debut with the short film RIPPLE, which was premiered in competition at the Sundance Film Festival. In 2004 he directed his first feature film, THE LAST RUN. In 2010 he executive produced the short film DESPAIR, directed by Alex Prager. NORMAN is Segal’s second feature film as a director.

Jonathan Segal
Dopo essersi laureato all’Università della Pennsylvania, segue uno stage alla Paramount Pictures. Nel 1995 esordisce alla regia con il cortometraggio RIPPLE, presentato in concorso al Sundance Film Festival. Nel 2004 dirige il suo primo lungometraggio, THE LAST RUN. Nel 2010 è stato produttore esecutivo del cortometraggio DESPAIR, diretto da Alex Prager. NORMAN è il suo secondo lungometraggio.

Director’s statement
What inspired me to make NORMAN was my desire to explore the psychological world of the adolescent under duress. I was provoked by the possibilities inherent in a story of 'first love' tempered by the certainty of overwhelming loss. How would Norman cope with these identity changing experiences? I was also drawn to the challenge of balancing the film's tone. I wanted Norman's journey to feel authentic and his actions and reactions to have integrity. Life's happenings are difficult to predict and almost impossible to control. I wanted to show that simultaneous experiences can be gravely serious one minute and absurdly funny the next. Lastly, I was determined to convey that the human spirit is resilient and can triumph over devastating adversity.

Dichiarazioni del regista
È stato il desiderio di esplorare la dimensione psicologica di un adolescente sotto minaccia a spingermi a girare NORMAN. Mi interessava raccontare questa storia di un “primo amore” attenuato dalla certezza di una perdita incolmabile. In che modo Norman affronta l’esperienza del cambiamento d’identità? Mi attirava anche l’impresa di riuscire a mantenere equilibrato il tono del film. Volevo che il percorso di Norman risultasse autentico, che le sue azioni e reazioni si rivelassero oneste, integre. È difficile prevedere e quasi impossibile controllare gli eventi della vita. Il mio intento era dimostrare che le esperienze parallele possono essere estremamente ardue per un istante e assurdamente divertenti un istante dopo. Infine, volevo a tutti i costi comunicare che l’animo umano è coriaceo, e capace di trionfare contro la più crudele delle avversità.

produzione/production
festival contact
North by Northwest Entertainment
903 West Broadway Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201-2119 - USA
phone +1 5093242949
fax +1 5093242959
www.nxnw.net