logo 2011

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2011 - 12.21 July

Sections & Films

THE SECRET LETTER

Category: Edition 2011

Synopsis

Eva, 11 year-old, is fed up with all the tensions at home. In order to show her quarrelling parents how she feels about the situation, she runs away from home. She hides in the attic of her best friends’ house, Jackie and Thomas. When she stumbles upon a secret letter and gets caught in the garden of Mr. Brandsema, her neighbour and the mastermind of a criminal organisation, things are quickly getting out of hand and her plans take an unexpected turn. When she finds out about her father’s possible criminal activities, she gets very upset, but her open-minded character makes her search for the truth. Soon Eva and her friends realize that they’re the only ones who can stop the bad guys.

Sinossi

Eva, 11 anni, è stanca delle tensioni che è costretta a vivere in famiglia a causa dei continui litigi tra i suoi genitori. Per manifestare apertamente il suo disagio, Eva scappa di casa e si nasconde nella soffitta dei suoi migliori amici, Jackie e Thomas. Quando per caso mette le mani su una lettera segreta e si ritrova nel giardino di un suo vicino, il signor Brandsema, capo di un’organizzazione criminale, le cose prendono una piega imprevista e le sfuggono di mano. Indotta a rivedere i suoi piani, Eva scopre che suo padre è probabilmente coinvolto in attività delinquenziali: dapprima si fa prendere dalla rabbia, ma poi la sua indole ragionevole e comprensiva la porta a cercare la verità. Presto Eva e i suoi amici si rendono conto di essere i soli a poter fermare il signor Brandsema e la sua banda di malviventi.

Original Title BRIEFGEHEIM
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 85'
Production Year 2010
Nationality Netherlands
Directed by Simone van Dusseldorp
Screenplay Marco van Geffen, Anna van der Heide
Based on the book ""
by Jan Terlouw
Director of photography Lennert Hillege
Editor Michiel Reichwein
Production Design Elsje de Bruijn
Costume Design Maartje Wevers
Sound Herman Pieëte
Music Chrisnanne Wiegel, Merlijn Snitker, Melcher Meirmans
Main cast Hanna Obbeek (Eva)
Isabelle Stokkel (Jackie)
Nils Verkooijen (Thomas)
Daan Schuurmans (il padre di Eva/Eva’s father)
Lies Visschedijk (la madre di Eva/Eva’s mother)
Finn Poncin (il padre di Thomas e Jackie/Thomas and Jackie’s father)
Produced by Leontine Petit, Eva Eisenloeffel, Joost de Vries

the secret letter regSimone van Dusseldorp
Born 1967 in Tilburg, The Netherlands. She graduated cum laude from Gerrit Rietveld Academy (Audiovisual Department) in 1990 and continued her education at the Netherlands Film & Television Academy, from which she graduated with the short film WATERLANDERS (1994). She has made a number of works for children and youth, including the shorts PRISCILLA (1997), IT (HET, 2000), EXIT (2001), SUBIET! (2006), DOGGY (KOEST, 2008); the TV series OTJE (1998), SECRET THOUGHTS (GEHEIME GEDACHTEN, 2001), ABI (2008); the features DEEP (DIEP, 2005) and FROGS & TOADS (KIKKERDRILL, 2009).

Simone van Dusseldorp
Nata nel 1927 a Tilburg, Paesi Bassi. Si è laureata con lode nel 1990 alla Gerrit Rietveld Academy (Dipartimento Audiovisivi), e ha proseguito i suoi studi alla Netherlands Film & Television Academy, dove si è diplomata con il cortometraggio WATERLANDERS (1994). Ha realizzato diversi lavori per ragazzi e bambini. Ricordiamo i cortometraggi PRISCILLA (1997), IT (HET, 2000), EXIT (2001), SUBIET! (2006), DOGGY (KOEST, 2008); le serie tv OTJE (1998), SECRET THOUGHTS (GEHEIME GEDACHTEN, 2001), ABI (2008); i lungometraggi DEEP (DIEP, 2005) e FROGS & TOADS (KIKKERDRILL, 2009).

Director’s statement
"In May 2010, Lemming Film contacted me and asked if I wanted to direct THE SECRET LETTER because the previous director, Anna van der Heide, had become ill and couldn’t direct the film herself. At that time, the whole cast and crew was booked and the actual shooting would start in 10 days.
"THE SECRET LETTER used to be my favourite book thirty years ago. I felt very privileged to film this book adaptation. The genre of the story is a thriller and the script had all the elements to make an exciting film. There are not so many thrilling films for kids, even though kids really enjoy the genre.
"Every kid eventually finds out that his parents also have a life of their own. The important question Eva asks herself is “Is my father the person I think he is?”. On one hand she wants to learn the truth, but on the other hand she’s scared to find the answer. This conflict of the protagonist is very interesting material for me as a director.
"Because there was such a talented cast and crew, I dared to take the plunge and direct this film. Despite the small budget and with thanks to the wonderful people I worked with, we made a movie I’m very proud of".

Dichiarazioni della regista
"Nel maggio 2010, la Lemming Film mi ha contattato e mi ha chiesto se volevo dirigere THE SECRET LETTER, perché la regista scelta precedentemente, Anna van der Heide, si era ammalata. Il cast e la troupe erano già completi e le riprese sono iniziate 10 giorni dopo.
"THE SECRET LETTER era il mio libro preferito trent’anni fa. Realizzare questo adattamento è stato per me un vero privilegio. Si tratta di un thriller, e la sceneggiatura ha tutte le carte in regola per diventare un film appassionante. Non ci sono tanti film thriller per ragazzi, anche se a loro questo genere piace molto.
"Tutti i bambini un giorno scoprono che i loro genitori hanno anche una vita propria. La domanda importante che Eva pone a se stessa è: “Mio padre è la persona che io credo che sia?”. Da un lato vuole sapere la verità, ma dall’altro ha paura di conoscere la risposta. Questo conflitto vissuto dalla protagonista è molto interessante dal mio punto di vista.
"Avendo a disposizione un cast e una troupe di grande talento, ho osato fare il grande passo e dirigere questo film. Nonostante il piccolo budget, grazie alle persone meravigliose con cui ho lavorato, abbiamo realizzato un film di cui sono molto orgogliosa".

Production
Lemming Film
Valschermkade 36-F, 1059 CD Amsterdam – The Netherlands
phone +31 206610424
fax +31 206610979
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.lemmingfilm.com

World sales
Delphis Films
5455 De Gaspe Ave., Suite 803, Montreal, Quebec, H2T 3B3 – Canada
phone +1 5148433355
fax +1 5148439574
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.delphisfilms.com