logo 2011

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2011 - 12.21 July

Sections & Films

LOST IN AFRICA

Category: Edition 2011

Synopsis

Simon, 11, a black adopted boy and soccer enthusiast, travels with his Danish mother to his country of origin, Kenya. Soon after arriving, Simon loses his beloved soccer ball. When he tries to find it, he gets lost in the biggest city-slum in Africa. With his trendy shoes and fancy clothes, he clearly stands out, but after he gets mugged, he soon looks like any other African boy. When Simon's mom, Susanne, goes to the media promising a reward for getting her son back, Simon is suddenly a hunted boy in the alleyways of the slum; he now needs all the help he can get from his new friends.

Sinossi

Simon, 11 anni, un ragazzo di colore adottato da una famiglia danese e appassionato di calcio, viaggia con la madre Susanne verso il suo paese d’origine, il Kenya. Poco dopo esser giunto a destinazione, Simon perde il suo amato pallone da calcio. Cercandolo, si perde nei vicoli della più grande bidonville africana. Con le sue scarpe alla moda e i suoi abiti eleganti si distingue e si fa notare, ma dopo essere stato rapinato assume l’aspetto di ogni altro ragazzo africano. Quando Susanne si rivolge ai mezzi di comunicazione promettendo una ricompensa per chi ritrovi suo figlio, Simon diventa improvvisamente un ragazzo ricercato da tutti nei vicoli della baraccopoli. Per sfuggire ai pericoli che lo circondano, Simon avrà bisogno dell’aiuto che i suoi nuovi amici potranno offrirgli.

Original Title KIDNAPPET
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90'
Production Year 2010
Nationality Denmark
Directed by Vibeke Muasya
Screenplay Vibeke Muasya
Script Vibeke Muasya
Director of photography Alexander Gruszynski
Editor Morten Højbjerg
Production Design Anna Asp, Naia Barrenechea
Sound Henric Andersson
Music Kristian Eidnes Andersen
Main cast Connie Nielsen (Susanne)
Lars Mikkelsen (Victor)
Simon Larsen (Simon)
Amos Odhiambo (Amos)
Irene Kayeri (Kanini)
Arnold Ochieng (Jabali)
Produced by Vibeke Windeløv, Karoline Leth

lost in africa regVibeke Muasya
Born 1959, Denmark. She is writer, director, choreographer and dancer. She has directed a number of short films, including TULIP NIGHT (TULIPANNATTEN, 1999), BENJI’S AFRICAN ADVENTURE (BENJIS AFRIKANSKE EVENTYR, 1999), BIRDS OF PASSAGE (TRÆKFUGLE, 2001), STOFFERS ØJEBLIK (2002). LOST IN AFRICA is her feature film debut.

Vibeke Muasya
Nata nel 1959 in Danimarca. È sceneggiatrice, regista, coreografa e ballerina. Ha diretto diversi cortometraggi, tra cui TULIP NIGHT (TULIPANNATTEN, 1999), BENJI’S AFRICAN ADVENTURE (BENJIS AFRIKANSKE EVENTYR, 1999), BIRDS OF PASSAGE (TRÆKFUGLE, 2001), STOFFERS ØJEBLIK (2002). LOST IN AFRICA è il suo primo lungometraggio.

Director’s statement
"When I wrote the first draft for LOST IN AFRICA back in 2006, my intention was to make an action-packed, entertaining children’s film, which would also provide insight into and emotional involvement in the “trash” of the world – the orphaned children in the slums of Africa.
"My name reveals that despite the colour of my skin, I have 23 years of extensive knowledge of Africa. That’s why it was important to me to base my cast of characters on actual people. The children were found in the slums and for the most part, they tell us their own stories. The film took shape on location in the slums – with the advantages and challenges that they entail.
"LOST IN AFRICA is constructed around the meeting between two boys – Simon and Amos – who both love soccer. Originally, they are from the same continent, the same city, the same slums – but fate has shaped their lives very differently. Simon was adopted, but Amos wasn’t. Now they meet around the ball. The ball rolls and so do the events.
"LOST IN AFRICA has three rings to its thematic core: the small core family, the extended compound family and the great global family. If we dare to engage in all three rings, we become more complete as human beings. It’s all about embracing the world, and one can only do that if one dares to embrace one’s self. That is Simon’s journey".

Dichiarazioni della regista
"Quando scrissi la prima bozza di LOST IN AFRICA, nel 2006, la mia intenzione era quella di realizzare un film per ragazzi ricco di azione e divertimento, che offrisse anche un emozionante spaccato sulla realtà del terzo mondo, sui bambini orfani nelle baraccopoli africane.
"Il mio nome rivela che, malgrado il colore bianco della mia pelle, ho alle spalle ben 23 anni di conoscenza approfondita dell’Africa. Ecco perché è stato importante per me far interpretare la mia galleria di personaggi a persone reali. I bambini sono stati selezionati nelle bidonville e, nella maggior parte dei casi, interpretano e raccontano le loro storie personali. Il film è stato girato nelle baraccopoli, con tutti i vantaggi e le sfide che ne conseguono.
"LOST IN AFRICA è incentrato sull’incontro tra Simon e Amos, due ragazzi che amano il calcio. Provengono dallo stesso continente, dalla stessa città, dalla stessa bidonville, ma il destino ha forgiato la loro vita in modi molto diversi. Simon è stato adottato, Amos no. Ora si incontrano grazie a un pallone. Il pallone rotola, e così accade tutto.
"LOST IN AFRICA si basa su tre linee tematiche: il piccolo nucleo familiare, la famiglia allargata e la grande famiglia globale. Se abbiamo il coraggio di seguire queste tre linee, possiamo diventare esseri umani più completi. Si tratta di abbracciare il mondo, e puoi riuscirci solo se trovi il coraggio di abbracciare te stesso. Questo è il viaggio di Simon".

Production
SF Film Production ApS
Forbindelsesvej 3, 2100 Copenhagen - Denmark
phone +45 70267626
fax +45 70267627

World sales
SF Film A/S Filmcompagniet
Tobaksfabrikken, Halfdansgade 10, DK-2300 København S
phone: +45 35270080
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Festival contact
The Danish Film Institute
Gothersgade 55, 1123 Copenhagen K - Denmark
phone +45 33743400
fax +45 33743401
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.dfi.dk